side mount turbo manifold

ddestruel

Reaction score
in a retrofit project that Im doing i need a side mount for a turbo,d prefer a cast iron setup vs headers for heat soak purposes ... my challenge is dealing with a low profile tight engine compartment with no additional rear fire wall space without affecting the foot space in the passenger compartment. for the conversion the other night i was looking at milling a 6.9L passenger side manifold and then welding a t3 flange on to make a setup similar to that of a 6.2/6.5 GM setup to accommodate an HX35. what I’m trying to achieve is mounting the turbo to the side level with the valve cover or close to it and passing the crossover tube under the engine vs both tubes coming up behind the engine.

looking around i can’t find anything but a valley mounted turbo in a 7.3L but was there ever a IH application with a manifold mounted turbo in a side mount style configuration similar toe the 6.5L’s i absolutely can not run the exhaust up behind the heads. i guess welding the flange to the manifold is my other option but if i route riverside exhaust into the passenger side outlet will i crate a scavenging and exhaust pulse problem or will pressure overcome the lack of symmetry

thanks
Dusty

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
ive seen several odd ball types with the turbo sitting on the drivers side manifold.. almost mirrored to a banks 6.2/6.5 system.. well atleast for the actual turbo mount

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Those kits are long discontinued though. If your lucky, you might find one on eBay or craigslist but they are pretty rare.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I just so happen to have a sidemount kit with manifold that mounts turbo on drivers side with turbo about level with valve cover, I dont really want to seperate the kit though, pm me and we can talk about it. i have exhaust manifold, intake, crossover pipe, and turbo. you would have to make your own oil feed and drain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online