Should the hood insulation stay or go?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
While i was under the hood again i noticed that the insulation that is under the hood itself has a few plastic retainers missing and is starting to look kinda ratty. Have any of you taken this insulation off? It seems like it will look better if i do, but will it cause any harm to the paint on the hood?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've removed it from all my diesels. It's not needed to protect anything. It's strictly for noise abatement. Sometimes it's like a ******* jack box, and there is a prize inside (behind). I found the build sheet from the factory taped to my hood.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Agnem
I've removed it from all my diesels. It's not needed to protect anything. It's strictly for noise abatement. Sometimes it's like a ******* jack box, and there is a prize inside (behind). I found the build sheet from the factory taped to my hood.

Thanks Mel........that is what i was waiting to hear about someone who has already done it with no implications (i dont consider more noise an implication!):) The more noise the better!

I figure in the winter time it will help melt the snow off the hood too!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mikes91
I always thought the stuff was fireproofing... fire retardant.
Nope....they can actually cause more fire problems on older trucks. One of the overlooked items they do tho is keep the heat off the sheetmetal and if you have metalic paint, that is a potentially good thing. If you don't or your paint is beyond hope, then it doesn't matter if you remove it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had early 80's Ford factory enamel paint on the Moose Truck all this time (the paint well known for peeling off in sheets), and for a good while had the factory hood on the truck with no blanket. The heat never damaged even that crappy paint. That hood still looks like new as a spare in my garage having served for 18 years. You gotta figure that the time when the engine is going to be radiating the most heat, is when your moving, and the air is flowing through the rad. When your not moving is when there is the most potential for heat build up, and I've never had the hood get so hot I couldn't put my hand on it. Actually, the few times I can remember that being the case, was when the sun had baked it, and the truck wasn't even running yet. The hood cooled off during use. My paint is that midnight blue metalic. Code 3L.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup I did mine also with alittle prodding from Mel! No ill effects at all and to be honest didn't really notice an increase in engine noise...unfortunately! Was hoping to be able to hear the turbo whine. Mine was looking more like a fire hazard than anything - had quite a few belts tear it up over time.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
The stuff is supposed to be fire resistant... but not a retardant. As everybody else said, its for noise killing. Besides an engine fire will kill most any retardant stuff anyway.

Strip it off and let the engine sing. Irritate the drive thru people. :D

It all goes with the stripping of kitties and mufflers/resonators. I always run with the window down if I want to listen to the diesel. Then if I want tunes, crank up the stereo. :rock:

And if I dont want to listen at all... I just turn off the hearing aids. Selective hearing. :Sly comes in handy when I want to ignore/**** off girls and supervisors/coworkers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789