Short & Wide Radiators

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the years and model/engine options that may have the 36"x16" high radiators instead of the more common tall and narrow version?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
my 86 has one. 6.9, auto tranny, no a/c 2wd longbed. well, thats what it used to be. but still has the rad.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an '86 with one. Was looking for the info so that I could comb thru ads and hopefully be able to spot others.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I think it was mostly '83-'86 6.9l's that didn't have factory air conditioning. With that said, I think that there were some trucks with a/c and the short wide radiator, and from what little I know about it, I get the impression that there wasn't really any rhyme or reason to which variant Ford went with.

I THINK that Ford stopped bothering with the short/wide setup by the '87 body changeover, but again, I'm not sure...

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
my 83 has one.i need one cause mine is crap.i got a narow tall one im gonna try.my truck is an 83 with 6.9 n/a with 4 speed.4x4.its got a 7.3 now though.also mine has factory a/c

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, from the responses it looks as though there truly is no rhyme or reason to predict or
estimate the model or number of trucks that have these........seeesh.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
all i know is we had 2 83's with 6.9's.1 was a 2wd auto.the other is the 1 i still have witch is a 4x4 4 speed.the auto did not have a short and wide rad.the 4 speed did

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the tall 'en have trans cooling ports? Just curious.

My '87 has a wide. Adding AC as we speak

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
My non A/C 5 speed F250 has the tall narrow one.

I wonder if one takes up more coolant than the other. I know Van radiators take 31 qt. and F-series take 29 Qt. (according to my original Diesel brochure in my motorhome)

You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the tall 'en have trans cooling ports? Just curious.

My '87 has a wide. Adding AC as we speak
My '84 has a tall/narrow radiator. The original radiator didn't have fittings for a tranny cooler, but my truck was a manual tranny from the factory. I've helped take apart slushbox trucks with tall/narrow radiators that had ports for the tranny cooler in the radiator.

FWIW...

BTW IIRC 6 Nebraska IDIs' brown '83 has a short/wide radiator with factory a/c...but, like Russ said, I think that most trucks with the short/wide radiator were non-a/c trucks. With that said, with Ford, there's sometimes no rhyme or reason...

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the short wide radiator in my '89. It's a non-A/C, Auto 3 speed, with tranny cooling lines, 4x4.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a guess here, but....
After searching for a replacement radiator for my own truck, they seam to be listed as AC using the tall/skinny version and non-A/C using the short wide version. I think the complication might be that there were also dealer installed AC systems that would have used the short/wide version.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance