SHIFTER REMOVAL ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I go about removing the shifter from a 1985 F-350 2wd 6.9 4-speed??

It is whatever standard equipment was for a 6.9 diesel, T-19 I think.

sassyrel

Reaction score
remove cover from around shifter--look on top of the area where it "spins"??? shold be bolts holding the tower part down--or--theres a metal ring you push down-and turn counterclk-and then you can remove the shifter-have it in neutral when you do this--and if its the push down and remove one--the pins inside the tower can come out and fall in the trans--sooooooooo-as soon as remove--carefully put a rag in there--for dirt out--and to keep the pins in---

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you just want to remove the shifter from the tranny? On the T-19, all you need to do is:

-Remove the shift boot.
-Press the red plastic "nipples" on both sides of the base of the shift lever inward with a screwdriver or a punch or something.
-While pressing the "nipples" in, pull upward on the shifter. Work one side at a time until you get it started.
-Once the "nipples" slip past the holes in the shifter base, the shifter will pull up and off the tranny.

Don't loose those red plastic pieces, I bet they are expensive. To install, just do the reverse.

Heath

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting...my T-19 doesn't have the red "nipples" that Heath mentioned. To just pull the lever, all I needed to do was unscrew the metal collar (for want of a better term) at the very bottom of the shift lever where it goes into the tranny, after removing the shift boot. At least on my truck, the collar was hand-tight, and with the gearshift in Neutral, the lever would pull right out after that collar was removed.

As sassyrel mentioned, there's a metal pin on the driver's side that's meant to keep the gearshift lever from being able to rotate. Once the lever's removed, it's possible for that metal pin to fall into the tranny...so be careful! The pin just fits loosely (the collar keeps the pin from falling out onto the ground when the gearshift lever's in place), so it's probably better just to push it out and put it in a safe place until you're ready to put the lever back on. As mentioned, putting a rag into the opening after pulling the lever is a good thing.

:)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I can see the little red plastic nipples/buttons.

We pushed in on both at the same time and tried to get the handle off; but, we weren't sure that it would come off this way.

We will give it another go tomorrow with the red buttons.

That will sure be better than having to take the shifter out of the transmission.

How far in will the buttons need be??

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The little red nipples are on two red plastic sleeves. These sleeves hold the shifter tightly to the top of the tranny's shift lever. Push them in until they are clear of the holes on the shifter. Then, pull up on the shifter at the same time. It will take some muscle and a little patience to get it going. Once you can slide the shifter up to the point where the little nipples cannot pop back into the holes on the shift lever, you should be able to just pull it up and off. Again, it is tight, as it should be, but you should be able to get it off.

Good luck,

Heath