She's ok, but the trucks gonna need some help

SKimballC

Reaction score
Looks like a new backing plate and rotor will fix most of it.

Its too bad Tonkadoctor was just down in my neck of the woods this week, I coulda sent a backing plate and a rotor w/ hub and studs back with him to NC. Offer stands if she wants to pay shipping, they're leftover from a previous truck project and just taking up space.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but this past summer, I was driving out a country highway and just as I was about to pass an oncoming F150 2WD, it's left front (d-side) wheel went AWOL and just about took me out. The truck was heading into a mild left curve and went off the road. The tire went about 1/2 mile down the road. I turned around (was in the Mule) and went back. People were fine, went an recovered the tire. Another guy showed up and with a combination of his floor jack and some treated lumber, we got it raised up and cleaned off. We, nothing was hurt!!! We put the wheel back on, then the used the Mule to pull her out. She went about 1 mile and parked at her sister's house and I took her and her two children to their home.

The point of the story - well, this truck had aluminum wheels as well. It had the uni-lug type, a true nightmare of anyone who has worked in a garage and/or sold tires. In this case, they had just purchased the truck and whomever owned it previoiusly put the standand acorn lug nuts on it, when it required the shouldered/washered styly long lug nut. Someone needs to tell her to make sure she has the right lugs, or this will happen again!

Glad she is ok and the truck doesn't look too awful bad, I am sure it can/will be fixed.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ya glad everyone is alright... man that had to be a ride.:hail

I too have similar incidents but not quite to the wheel coming off. Both of my duallies have an issue with the front lugs wanting to vibrate loose and they're steel.:eek:
I gotta check em every so often as even after awhile the lugs work them loose. I haven't quite figgered out as to why but it sounds like I may not be alone. Was this as issue with these old trucks or just bad luck?:confused:

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
For crying out loud will one of you young bucks latch on to this one so she doesn't get away or hurt! Not only that, but she needs a proper induction into her 21st B-Day...one where she has to get driven home. And once you drop her off, check the lug nuts on her rig before you leave.

Paul

:rotflmao :rotflmao :hail lookin for a wrenching *****? :thumbsup:

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Sam, so glad you're alright. I can imagine the pucker factor was pretty high.:eek:

One of you young fellas get down to her place and help her get that truck back on the road. Not that she needs help...but hey, an oppotunity is an opportunity.:D

This does raise a question in my mind. What ARE the correct type lugnuts for an alloy wheel. When I had new alloy wheels and tires put on my wife's truck, I just assumed the shop put the right lugnuts on. Now I'm not so sure since I have found one or two loose on occasion while rotating them.

Tom

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
This does raise a question in my mind. What ARE the correct type lugnuts for an alloy wheel. When I had new alloy wheels and tires put on my wife's truck, I just assumed the shop put the right lugnuts on. Now I'm not so sure since I have found one or two loose on occasion while rotating them.

Tom

Depends on the wheel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wheels on the Moose Truck have real deep sleeves that reach all the way down into the bolt hole, and then the nut shoulder and washer hold it on. The nuts I have are stainless, and not that perfect. They oval when rotated slightly by a few thousands, and consequently bind a bit when rotated. It would take quite a bit of magic to make those things spin off on their own. In fact, when I put the wheel on, I have to find the worse nut out of the 8, and put that one on first, so it CAN oval, and then the other 7 go on in order of decreasing imperfection. LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decreasing imperfection??? Kind of like a menopausal wife, sorry, venting again.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news, on her login problems, after the "thanks for logging in" page appears, she is redirected back to the login page. Mozilla is set correctly for cookies and passwords, and the AOL browser does the same thing too. Never had that happen to me.

Adrianspeeder

same happened to me.when she gets to the thanx for logging in page tell her to click on forums.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh and ive been haveing nothing but problems with my aluminum wheels comeing loose on my dually.never feel the vibration/shake/wobble till they are about to fall off.had one side come loose last week.didnt know it till a friend noticed a broken stud an 2 missing lugs :eek: .im about to go buy some new simulaters and get rid of these aluminum wheels -cuss

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
so apparently im "allowed" to login again, by magic, i'd assume... anyways...

so my road adventure was a blast :rotflmao .... sort of like a "hold on tight its gunna be wilder than any eight second ride" moving on...like adrian said, the trucks home, but i still need a rim that sorta kinda somewhat matches the other 3 on there.... probly impossible to find :confused:

Now, my other question is, theres all this talk of proper lugnuts... for the alloy rims, what are the right kind, the ones that *were* on there are sort of a longish kind (not acorn style). are those the right kind that ill need to replace?

well i sure do appreciate all the help and whatnot :hail: , guess i just have me some bad luck!!! :fan:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
so apparently im "allowed" to login again, by magic, i'd assume... anyways...

Glad to have you back!

Now, my other question is, theres all this talk of proper lugnuts... for the alloy rims, what are the right kind, the ones that *were* on there are sort of a longish kind (not acorn style). are those the right kind that ill need to replace?

well i sure do appreciate all the help and whatnot :hail: , guess i just have me some bad luck!!! :fan:

I used to manage a tire shop and I can tell you, there are a myriad of lug nuts, but they come down to a few types. If you can find a manufacturer name on the wheel, I would contact them, but a good tire shop should be able to fix you up as well. As far as finding another wheel, that might be your best bet as well, try to find manufacturer and contact them.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I blew the avatar up with photoshop as best I could and those look like Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels, post a pic and I'm sure we can help narrow your search down some if you cant find any manufacturers name or part numbers

Here's the M/T wheel http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_763718_-1_36676

I think Alcoa made something similar a while back but I can't find it right now.

You must be registered for see images attach

I used to manage a tire shop and I can tell you, there are a myriad of lug nuts, but they come down to a few types. If you can find a manufacturer name on the wheel, I would contact them, but a good tire shop should be able to fix you up as well. As far as finding another wheel, that might be your best bet as well, try to find manufacturer and contact them.

;Sweet ;Sweet Two thumbs up, contact the manufacturer for recommended lug nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online