She's ok, but the trucks gonna need some help

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Been talkin with 4x4truckingirl after a Charlie Foxtrot on her ride home from a fun 21st birthday Florida weekend. Her internet is actin up at the moment though so I'm helpin out.

It appears the front tire decided to take another path not shared with the truck. :eek:

You must be registered for see images attach

...at 65mph -cuss

But in true pro trucker style kept it upright and mostly straight coming to a "soft and sunken" stop 1/4mile up the road.

These two scare me, only one way to shift the hood and pinch the door...

So now, her truck sits an hour from home after a friend picked her up. Anyone think of a good game plan for this? If I wasn't 600miles away it'd be on the uncles flatdeck and safe back on her farm. First thing I'm concerned with is her belongings sitting at a random gas station. Second, what exactly broke. Thirdly, how to help keep this trooper chin up after her trusty steed took a fall...

Adrianspeeder

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing broke, the lugnuts were loose and came off, then the wheel came off. Look at the 5th and 6th pic, the lug studs appear to still be intact.

If something broke, the rotor would have still been attached to the wheel.

It happened to me 7 years ago, rotated my tires and forgot to tighten one set down. Made it about 7 miles, hit a bump and my tire passed me up. Took me 15 minutes to find the tire, they apparently can roll quite a ways.

Get 8 lugnuts, scrape off the mud and remount the wheel. Stay off of the highway until the studs can be replaced. When the wheel is loose, the rim wears into the studs and weakens them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My thoughts are get it home and then look it over. Back in November when mt truck lost a freeze plug 70 miles from home I found several tow companies that would bring it home for $100.00 an hour. Finally found one in my home town and they charged me $175.00 flat rate. That was for 3 hours work. That being said here in Kalifornia I'm sure its cheaper where she is at. Its time to PTL. Pay the loot. Get it home and fit it. I really have no idea why a 4x4 would loose a wheel. The pictures don't show enough of what came off or what broke. At least she is unhurt. I'll bet it scared the you-know-what out of her. I know it sure would have done the same to me. Funny thing about being scared. Its always after the incident and your going to be ok. All you made was a memorym of sorts...:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Geez... The pictures hadn't come up yet. From what I see just put the tire back on, then drive it up on a trailer or flatbed it home. It looks like the aluminum wheel came off the studs. Like maybe somebody didn't tighten up the lug nuts. I hate to think that maybe someone loosened them up on her. That could be a feloney if someone lost their life over it. Just get it home and look over the other lug nuts for wear or looseness. Listen for "friends" to talk about "guess what so-and-so did". I trust not too many "people"....:popcorn

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can pretty much from the pictures that the reason the fender and door are so close is that when the tire come off it went into the fender first before the truck went off course.also looks like it bent the cab mounts,one reason why a body lift is a big NO NO.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, glad you didnt flip it, nice lookin ch,,, i mean truck. The fender probably needs loosened and realigned and should be ok, A buddy of mine did this on his 90, only the tireshop paid for all the repairs, left the locknut off the spindle.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I drove a car with only 3 lug nuts and one of them loose and I could tell by far something was wrong (of course I knew it but I had no other choice) meaning the wheel was loose, how come You drive at 65mph and not feel any vibration? I sure hope someone forgot tho tighten them instead of someone loosening them. It does not look like a lot of damage but at 65mph I think there must be some damage good think She is ok, the truck can be repaired.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
From what I see,New rotor since the rotor exploded(it won't come off with the caliber attached),all new lug studs and lug nuts,I would go ahead and replace the brake pads and check over the caliper and mount,Check the wheel REALLY good since it could have cracked it or warped it,realign the body panels,Check axle and suspension and all mounting hardware since it could have come in contact with the road surface(SUPER BELT SANDER!).

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have had stupid moments where i forgot to torque up the wheels and i always noticed it right away. it was noticably wobbly but nothing ever broke. i have heard however if you use a impact to improperly tighten the lugnuts some can be superman tight while letting others get loose. if say 5 worked loose with only three holding tight if she hit a good bump and sheared them it could take the loose ones with it. i talked with speeder and he said some where sheared and some where still there.

at least an IDI girl is safe, they are rare around here, LOL no offence to the rest of you at all. :D

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Sam's still havin' problems logging in, but she thanks everyone for looking.

The rim was toast and bent so she got an old 35 that was layin around and is picking up a junkyard rim. She did say some of the studs are broken, but I'm guessin that happened when the wheel took an exit stage left.

I'm hoping just the fender shifted. When I did something similar with the '92 a few years back it was because the front frame horns got moved .5 inch to the left.

Adrianspeeder

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
After alloy rims are removed and bolted back on, I understand that retorquing them after 100 miles is standard procedure due to the expansion that they undergo during heating and cooling. I use a torque wrench on mine--can't recall the factory specs, but they are something over 100 foot pounds.

Glad Sam is OK--could have been a lot worse. Just needs to get her rig back home. Plenty of expert advise previously on this post. If lug studs are sheared off, it needs to be towed home.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Studs are fairly easy to replace. Sometimes you can do them without removing the rotors, it depends if there is access to the back.

Whack em out with a hammer, then put a fresh stud on and pull it in with a nut with a few flatwashers underneath. A flat nut (or a lugnut upside down) works better than a lugnut.

RedTruck

Reaction score
For crying out loud will one of you young bucks latch on to this one so she doesn't get away or hurt! Not only that, but she needs a proper induction into her 21st B-Day...one where she has to get driven home. And once you drop her off, check the lug nuts on her rig before you leave.

Glad to hear she's doing well. Hope she's not shook to bad.

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7