Shag Wagon Revival

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another note, took off the front wheels last night looking for a way to lift up the front end 2 inches. The coils have sagged over the years. Seems like I can weld a spacer into the lower coil pad if I buy a longer bolt. Unfortunately its going to be a pain to get a socket in there to loosen it up. I'm sure the bolt hasn't moved since it left the factory.

You can put a flat plate under the spring. Yes that nut is a pain. As I recall an open end wrench is the only thing that can reach it.

But note, the length of that spring determines the camber angle. Don't adjust for height but rather for angle.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just picked up my first diesel vehicle: a 1984 E-350 econoline with a 6.9 idi and c6. Been enjoying the fun of the van life and dove right into the project. The previous owner had build a bed platform in the back as he lived in it for a year during college. I went ahead and tore that out along with all the old wooden panels and insulation behind them. Clean start.

Before I get too far into interior though I’d really like to solve a few problems regarding drive ability. Here are the known problems:

-Power steering leak (belt removed until fixed)
-Leak in fuel lines (hard start after morning of sitting)
-Glow plugs controller?

As far as the power steering leak it’s just something I haven’t gotten to yet. Previous owner installed a new pump and it worked for a few months before leaking out all the fluid. I assume it just came loose when the two bolts holding the pump to the engine removed themselves lol.

For the fuel line leaks I’ve done some reading through the forum I discovered it’s a good idea to replace injectors and the water/fuel separator. I’m also a college kid with little money though so this is going to have to wait.

Lastly, I don’t know much about diesels (drove them for work) but I assume the glow plug light is supposed to stay on for a minute or so before i turn on the engine? Mine glow plugs seems to come on for about 5 seconds, wait 10 seconds, and then turn on again for another 3 seconds. They seem to go through this cycle over and over when the engine is cold. Is this normal? Also, when really cold, the glow plugs/indicator light seem to continue this cycle even after the engine is started. Sometimes it will even keep cycling for 10 minutes into a drive. Is this normal??

Thought I’d write up where I’m at for hopes of tips and instruction. All input is appreciated!

So are you going to do alot with this or just get it in driving condition? Either way, make sure you take pics and post them up here as this will be a fun build thread to watch.

Ianthomas59

Reaction score
So are you going to do alot with this or just get it in driving condition? Either way, make sure you take pics and post them up here as this will be a fun build thread to watch.

Planning to do a lot over a long period of time! I’ve been driving the hell out of it as is.

Here are the photos requested
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The thinner spring is for the kickdown linkage on your C6 transmission and appears to be hooked up right. The thicker spring is for your throttle return and definitely isn't hooked up right. It should hook up to the same spot that the throttle cable hooks up to. Wrao the hook on one end around the "shaft" beside the cable end. The other end hooks to the bottom of the fast idle solenoid bracket. This could be at least part of your "not returning to idle" issue.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the return-to-idle issue is the cold idle solenoid. All my coolant sensor switches have failed, and whenever I have them plugged in, the CI solenoid engages no matter what temp it is and revs up my engine. I've just unplugged it, because in Los Angeles, I never really need the advance.

But in your picture of your springs, it is evident your throttle spring is in the wrong location.

I just did this a few days ago, and the throttle spring mounts on the throttle linkage nub down to the connector located at the bottom front of the IP. It's really hard to see in the van, and I'll run outside right now to take a pic.

Ianthomas59

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures!

Unfortunately I looked and my throttle return spring was actually still attached the the front mount. The unfortunate part is it was broken in half. So I don’t actually have a throttle return spring. This explains the weird spring hooked around the linkage from above. Too bad the spring is not strong enough. The spring on the C6 kickdown was also the wrong spring even though it works... I’d like to replace all of them with new correct springs

I’ve searched the Internet for springs but I’ve had zero luck. Any chance you guys know where I can find part numbers for these springs?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures!

Unfortunately I looked and my throttle return spring was actually still attached the the front mount. The unfortunate part is it was broken in half. So I don’t actually have a throttle return spring. This explains the weird spring hooked around the linkage from above. Too bad the spring is not strong enough. The spring on the C6 kickdown was also the wrong spring even though it works... I’d like to replace all of them with new correct springs

I’ve searched the Internet for springs but I’ve had zero luck. Any chance you guys know where I can find part numbers for these springs?

You can find replacement springs at autoparts stores. Just bring your old one in and find one (preferably a "double" spring for added peace of mind) and compare the size. My local store has a half dozen different size springs.

Ianthomas59

Reaction score
You can find replacement springs at autoparts stores. Just bring your old one in and find one (preferably a "double" spring for added peace of mind) and compare the size. My local store has a half dozen different size springs.

Thanks for the tip! I don’t really know the collapsed length of the spring though since it snapped in half :/ I’ll have to try and get a tape on there or something to get an estimate

Ianthomas59

Reaction score
Well I put the van up for sale last week :(. Too many vehicles these days and maintenance is expensive. Figured I’d give an update just for the hell of it.

Got in a bumper bender a while back and had to replace the radiator and fan. Also had to straighten the frame a tad the old school way.

Since then I’ve done a handful of fixes:

Fuel return lines
Injector seals
Rear brakes shoes/cylinder/springs
Rear axle bearings, seals, fluid
Door seals
Seats
Used tires
Vacuum Pump

Been incredibly happy with the thing. It’s been reliable minus the couple fixes here and there. Still haven’t painted it but got a quote from the local shop to spray it if I finish prepping it. I’ll probably do it if it doesn’t sell soon.

Just for kicks last pic is all my NorCal vehicles in one picture. Dunno what’s gotten into me lol

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer. I'm sure you'll find a buyer in L.A. or S.F. Lots of people are buying these vans up to live in. How much are you asking?

Ianthomas59

Reaction score
Bummer. I'm sure you'll find a buyer in L.A. or S.F. Lots of people are buying these vans up to live in. How much are you asking?

I have it up for 6 if I paint it. I’m thinking 5 as is. Interested in your guys opinions on price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online