Sell my 7.3 idi or keep it

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't frequent this board much now, but I stopped by and the title of this post caught my eye. I had a 1989 F-250 Super Cab (7.3, ZF S5-42, 4.10 axles) that was bone stock when I bought it in 2009. It ran fine, but was a little tired. I dropped a Hypermax turbo and Moose pump in it and it had quite a bit mo' power. If you want more power, do that and install an intercooler and your life will be better. (You'll have to tune it correctly, as well.)
In December of 2016 I bought a 2008 F-450 (in my sig). It had 96K miles and a DPF delete. It now has 115K and the only problem I've had with it was a broken dipstick tube.
It is impossible to overstate the difference between the two trucks. I thought my old F-250 drove pretty well until I took the F-450 for a spin. 300 hp and 650 lb/ft of torque was quite an improvement in the giddy-up department. The ride is much smoother and it is more enjoyable to drive in every way.
Anyway, I know this board is mostly dedicated to guys who are into the IDIs, which at one time I was. However, if you can afford it, my experience says buy a 6.4. I have had very few problems with mine and enjoy driving it every day.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd vote for the turbo on your current truck. I think you might be surprised at what it will pull with everything set up right. I have a friend who used to sell Mac tools. He sold them out of a goose neck trailer that was around 27 to 30 feet in length (that was back in the early 90's so I can't remember the length). He used a 1989 F250, 7.3, zf5 with headers. He pulled it all around the area for two or three years until the company made him buy a "bread truck". I'd still say that something's not quite right with your truck. Either way, it's your truck so do what you want with it. One last thing. Weren't you saying this same exact thing a couple of months back? If so, why haven't you done something about it either way?

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd vote for the turbo on your current truck. I think you might be surprised at what it will pull with everything set up right. I have a friend who used to sell Mac tools. He sold them out of a goose neck trailer that was around 27 to 30 feet in length (that was back in the early 90's so I can't remember the length). He used a 1989 F250, 7.3, zf5 with headers. He pulled it all around the area for two or three years until the company made him buy a "bread truck". I'd still say that something's not quite right with your truck. Either way, it's your truck so do what you want with it. One last thing. Weren't you saying this same exact thing a couple of months back? If so, why haven't you done something about it either way?

I did took the whole front of the motor apart to make sure the timing was correct reset everything as it should. I was going to turbo it but everyone one that had one around me wanted 1,000 bucks with missing parts. But I didn't think a turbo was needed I was being stubborn and thinking the timing would fix the issue but it hasn't that's what I'm not understanding everything I've done should have been right. It feels like something just isn't right. If you drop a gear coming up a hill you still lose speed and I'm talking about like 2500 or more RPM dropping very fast which is still the same problem I had before. That's in 3 gear and if I have to drop to second I just pull over by that time the coolant temp is 230

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't frequent this board much now, but I stopped by and the title of this post caught my eye. I had a 1989 F-250 Super Cab (7.3, ZF S5-42, 4.10 axles) that was bone stock when I bought it in 2009. It ran fine, but was a little tired. I dropped a Hypermax turbo and Moose pump in it and it had quite a bit mo' power. If you want more power, do that and install an intercooler and your life will be better. (You'll have to tune it correctly, as well.)
In December of 2016 I bought a 2008 F-450 (in my sig). It had 96K miles and a DPF delete. It now has 115K and the only problem I've had with it was a broken dipstick tube.
It is impossible to overstate the difference between the two trucks. I thought my old F-250 drove pretty well until I took the F-450 for a spin. 300 hp and 650 lb/ft of torque was quite an improvement in the giddy-up department. The ride is much smoother and it is more enjoyable to drive in every way.
Anyway, I know this board is mostly dedicated to guys who are into the IDIs, which at one time I was. However, if you can afford it, my experience says buy a 6.4. I have had very few problems with mine and enjoy driving it every day.

I'm leaning towards the 6.4 don't get me wrong I really like my idi but I hate slowing up traffic specially when I'm towing. I would like to keep it if I can find a turbo for it

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an fyi, you can drive your truck however you want, but these na motors need a lot of rpm to stay cool and to keep speed. Don’t be afraid to hold 3k rpms up a hill.

Something else to check is your rocker bolts. I’ve had poor running trucks come in and found all the rockers finger tight. I torque them to spec (15 ft lbs iirc) and use blue lock tite to keep them from backing out.

How many miles on the pump and injectors?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Although most of us, me included, will try to talk you out of it, in the end, it's your choice and yours only (except maybe for a wife). If you think that's the way to go, then you should do it. That's the plain and simple truth. It sounds like you've been leaning that way for a while anyway. Please don't think that I'm saying any of that in anger. I'm not. It's hard to type emotions into words.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a local guy selling a factory turbo kit for $550. Just missing the crossover, everything is looks in good shape, all the exhaust is ceramic coated iirc.

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although most of us, me included, will try to talk you out of it, in the end, it's your choice and yours only (except maybe for a wife). If you think that's the way to go, then you should do it. That's the plain and simple truth. It sounds like you've been leaning that way for a while anyway. Please don't think that I'm saying any of that in anger. I'm not. It's hard to type emotions into words.

I have been but I've invested a lot into this pickup and would like to make it be able to tow good I've always been partial to the idi over most other diesels so I would like to keep it if I could pin point what's going on

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If not, I'll bet you could have one made by a muffler shop. It would be on the loud side driving it there with open manifolds, but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an fyi, you can drive your truck however you want, but these na motors need a lot of rpm to stay cool and to keep speed. Don’t be afraid to hold 3k rpms up a hill.

Something else to check is your rocker bolts. I’ve had poor running trucks come in and found all the rockers finger tight. I torque them to spec (15 ft lbs iirc) and use blue lock tite to keep them from backing out.

How many miles on the pump and injectors?

I've only maybe put 5k on the truck since redoing everything that's when I did the injectors and injection pump. I'll have to check thoses out do I need to get new valve cover gaskets?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the gaskets are cork, replace them, if they are rubber they are technically reusable but likely they are brittle and will leak if you do. Last I checked typ4 had crossovers still for sell