Sell my 7.3 idi or keep it

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id change the fuel filter and buy a cheap fuel pressure gauge so you can verify you have enough fuel supply pressure.

I have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up on my pillar pod it has oil pressure fuel pressure egts and coolant temp the lift pump is the only thing I haven't replaced

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
A word of advice from my recent experience. Assuming that you're still running the V belts. I had to replace the lifters on my freshly rebuilt engine. It had run for maybe 10 minutes. It had the rubber valve cover gaskets so I reused them. This applies to new or reused ones. on the passenger's side, I removed the fuel filter and dipstick bracket, but left everything else in place. When I was trying to replace the valve cover, I was having some difficulty getting the bolts started. When i got to the front, lower bolt, I could see that the part of the gasket that was visible through the bolt hole was straight. meaning the outer part of the gasket. I got frustrated and left it for the day since I was hot, sweaty, and miserable. The next day, I pulled the valve cover back off, put the gasket back in place, and tried to install it again. The same thing happened, but I could see the gasket outside the valve cover this time. I tried it again, slowly and watching carefully what I did. It turned out that the front tab on the gasket was hitting the alternator pivot bolt and pushing the gasket out of place. I just tipped the valve cover up as far as I could until I got the tab past the bolt and had no more issues. I probably could have just backed the bolt out s few threads. If everything else was tight, it should have not affected the belt tension.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Would putting any bigger exhaust help at all?
Bigger exhaust where? On the crossover? Probably not. The exhaust still has to go through the same up pipe and turbo. The down pipe is "crushed" from the factory and bigger, open ones are available. From the down pipe back, bigger would help it flow better. How much? Debatable. Don't get a factory replacement muffler. They are restrictive. Get an open muffler or eliminate it all together if you can where you live. Another possibility is that your muffler is plugged. If it is, that would explain the high EGTs, and lack of power. I just thought of that one. I, for one, will be doing the straight exhaust when I put my turbo on.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can, find a Banks Sidewinder(wastegated) kit. Out of the box, it's a /really/ nice setup... though limited to around 250 RWHP. A stock IP is only good to about 220RWHP maxed out, so it's fairly well sized.
(note that a stock IDI, brand new might make 125 RWHP, and I've seen a local rig make 85(!) on the dyno. With plenty of smoke.)
Otherwise, you can make any kit work fine.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although most of us, me included, will try to talk you out of it, in the end, it's your choice and yours only (except maybe for a wife). If you think that's the way to go, then you should do it. That's the plain and simple truth. It sounds like you've been leaning that way for a while anyway. Please don't think that I'm saying any of that in anger. I'm not. It's hard to type emotions into words.

This. I came from the 6.0 to the IDI. For me it was a cost of maintenance issue. Plus every time the key was in the ignition I was worried what was going to break and the cost. I had injectors go on me at 41k and that cost $2k. For the amount I would have spent to "bullet proof" the 6.0, I put that money into a $1900 IDI in the form of a turbo, pump, injectors, and interior. My IDI has not left me stranded. My 6.0 did twice before 80k miles when i sold it. It's hard to use 325 hp when you're scared it's gonna break it.

Also, I am more than sick and tired of the emission issues diesel owners now face in my state, AZ. 1 tons have to go through emissions every year once past 5 years. I've got a wife and 2 kids and just can't afford to not have a car because I can't afford to fix it or can't get it registered.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. I came from the 6.0 to the IDI. For me it was a cost of maintenance issue. Plus every time the key was in the ignition I was worried what was going to break and the cost. I had injectors go on me at 41k and that cost $2k. For the amount I would have spent to "bullet proof" the 6.0, I put that money into a $1900 IDI in the form of a turbo, pump, injectors, and interior. My IDI has not left me stranded. My 6.0 did twice before 80k miles when i sold it. It's hard to use 325 hp when you're scared it's gonna break it.

Also, I am more than sick and tired of the emission issues diesel owners now face in my state, AZ. 1 tons have to go through emissions every year once past 5 years. I've got a wife and 2 kids and just can't afford to not have a car because I can't afford to fix it or can't get it registered.

Going "backwards" from a 6.0 to an IDI, and being happy, if that's not a testament to a properly set up IDI I don't know what is...

John Preston

Reaction score
Hey guys after much considering and a lot of hard work I'm thinking of selling my 1990 f250 4x4 7.3 idi. I bought a 28ft travel trailer with a super slide thinking the truck would be able to handle it. But after going 65 then a slight hill comes up it slows down to 35 or slower. If i start on a hill it takes me awhile to get it up to speed. I know you can turbo it but I don't think I could get it where it would keep up with traffic. So I'm considering buying a 6.4 powerstroke but would like to keep 7.3 if it could tow as well as I like. I understand the idi isn't a power house but I have a steep grade coming up here in 3 weekends that I have too pull the trailer up and with a four wheeler in the bed I don't think it will make it up without overheating on me. Sorry for the long post but I'm on a short time frame here. And need advice on what I can do with the truck or if I should sell it and buy the 6.4 egts on my truck towing just the trailer on flat ground at 65 is about 800 degrees and the coolant temp get up pretty fast

John Preston

Reaction score
I would check into seeing if the injector pump is timed right and working right and maybe check out injectors. It's a real motor so if you can make it work i would, but I wouldn't put a turbo on it.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other thing - thing I like - is an IDI requires a little effort from you. It will turn 250 hp at the rear wheels with a small amout of work and some outlay of cash. Or, you can buy it that way with a newer truck. Some like that idea some don't.

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigger exhaust where? On the crossover? Probably not. The exhaust still has to go through the same up pipe and turbo. The down pipe is "crushed" from the factory and bigger, open ones are available. From the down pipe back, bigger would help it flow better. How much? Debatable. Don't get a factory replacement muffler. They are restrictive. Get an open muffler or eliminate it all together if you can where you live. Another possibility is that your muffler is plugged. If it is, that would explain the high EGTs, and lack of power. I just thought of that one. I, for one, will be doing the straight exhaust when I put my turbo on.

Would buying a 94 factory turbo pickup for 1000 be a bad idea just for the turbo? The motor is shot I would have to trailer it back but if it's worth a grand I may go that route the guy that has it is only 2 hours away.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be worth a try. You could always get your money back selling unneeded parts on craigslist.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would buying a 94 factory turbo pickup for 1000 be a bad idea just for the turbo? The motor is shot I would have to trailer it back but if it's worth a grand I may go that route the guy that has it is only 2 hours away.

I'd also invest in having it rebuilt (or rebuild ir yourself) now no matter what and use that to bargain the price down to $750 (guessing $250 to rebuild by pro or $100 for you to do it). You'll be mad putting it on and then having to take it off in 1.5 years to rebuilt the bearings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828