Self oil burning

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now back in the test hole, just the tip of the shaft is all that is need. With that in in order the rolls can give a reach around.

You must be registered for see images attach

It lets the rolls get up here and can go from here to get a nice sliper slope.

Now with the magic touch to turn iron into to silver, no I was not whistling while i work...:sly

Now there is something to wright home about.-Drool

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got around to getting more done.

Since got the exhaust all nice shinny on this head, I could not leave well enough alone. So got to experiamenting one the intake side and started by bringing the taper to the giude.

By the time I got done in the other holes, this is what I settled on as a end result.

So another step closer to the end, still need to see about cleaning hidden areas and to match the other head to what I have created.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today on our not so regularly scheduled show about shoe shinning a head. These are the supplies of the day, that small pack of rolls where a partal waist since the tapered ones exploded to easy.

The target is to try and get at this hidden spot.

This is about as far as can get with the rolls at full extendo.

This is where I can get playing tug of war with short sand paper strip but wast a lot of time, so that is as far as I got. Thinking need to find some sort of sanding ball to get down there.

The knock off micro rollock sanding disc did wonders on the guide face to clean up what I did the other day.

All nice and shiny now, think now need to go back over the guide face on the exhast now.

Last edited:

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liking what got done on the intake, got a itch I had to scratch comparing it to the exhasut.

So pulled the taper to the guide the same way.

With guide face cleaned, Im about done with this head. Now need to remove apprenticeship marks, then can move on to make a mirror copy of this out the other head.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When at a ma and pa tool store, ran across these falp wheels. They are too big to fit down the inlet of the intake port new but can get some from the valve side, when wore down some they will get in the inlet. I cut up one to exprirament with but did not gain any ground with it.

In the test port, Im finding that Im not getting up where I was with the rolls but last forever.

This is another port that I did not get as far with the rolls and better shows the extent I can get with the flaps. I am chasing a itch I cant seem to scratch, might go with a extended bar bit but dont want to use something that aggressive in a blind spot. Will think about it and see what else can come up with.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO Im trying the path you set forth since not finging any other path, also grabed more rolls. I got the cheapest one that did not look like the tip was brazed on.

This is the test port for today.

This how far I get with the small flame from the valve side.

This is using the small ball from the inlet but skipped aronud a bit. Since did get where I what, makes wish could had found a small ball stone on a long stick.

Then back to seeing what the rolls can do, it leaves me with the mess from the skiping burr.

So back to fing-ering the port with small strips, best can get before I give up is somewhat smooth to the touch. All this mirror will do is lead you down a rabbit hole that dose not yead much results, so would be best to not try too hard here.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How did the longer burrs work compared to the shorter ones? Were you able to reach farther into the ports where you couldn't reach before?

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did the longer burrs work compared to the shorter ones? Were you able to reach farther into the ports where you couldn't reach before?

Works at getting to that blind spot but are harder to control, so they end up skipping around a bit.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe that blind spot isn't so important after all? I remember that there was a little bit that I couldn't get to so I just left it. I'll get to do the same thing here coming up. I'll have a pair of 6.9 heads to port out.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe that blind spot isn't so important after all? I remember that there was a little bit that I couldn't get to so I just left it.

Not sure if taking a burr to this port will do better than what I got done with just a roll.

Since did the other head, went ahead to see if can do a cleaner job with the burrs. Started by cutting the small flame and ball a inch and half shorter. That makes them more stable to use but still able to get down in the hole. This is using the ball from the inlet.

The small flame seems to do a better job tho.

You can at this cliff with the ball but is a bit messy, it also wants to skip and go round. So say keep that bit out this hole.

The small flame dose not do bad and is a better choice here, also got the roof at this point.

Then on to this half of this wall.

Then there is this that the bit dose not snake around to get.

From there I lightly skimed the inlet so smother, it dose get more off than the rolls could in a shorter time.

I have that bullet as well and went to see what it would do from the inlet. Thinking your going to remove to much material trying to get far in this port, so dont think dose much good.

That bullet dose want to fit down here on the floor but is a sketchy to get at, it want to dig that inner wall. So be carfull if you want to stick it down here and not get much on the inner radius. It dose fine to clean the outter radius tho and can get close to that cliff. Cleaning that inner radius that is blind, I say would be best by hand with small stips if ambitious or hard headed like me.

Last edited:

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also took the rolls to finish cleaning up the guild boss on the other head, so porting is done on this one. It is a bit shinny and hard to get a good pic of it.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done a flow bench test on their heads before and after porting them to determine the results?

Have ran across this post

head flow

So base on that and what I have found trying to clean them up, there might not be any way to gain anything from the intake side. When you try at the bend you end up taking off more than you want and can easly make it worse. So any light work and not doing really anything off the bend may only show benifit under a lot of boost on the intake side. The exhaust side tho show that something can be done with out making a mess, along with a gasket match could help out. I dont have a flow bench so cant tell what affect I have made on the intake side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online