Seatbelt Indicator

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every once in awhile, my indicator will stay on even though the seatbelt is engaged. It will stay on like this for 2-3 days then go back to proper working order. This doesn't happen that often, only a couple times a year. What is the problem?

DEZLPWR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing that I can think of is that the sensor is going bad.
I don't even have one of those idiot lights, or maybe I do and thankfully, the damn bulb is burned out! :D

Max Power

Reaction score
I know on Fords if you unplug the seat belt sensor under the seat it thinks the seat belt is plugged in all the time. Might be worth a try. Not sure about dodge though.

MYTRNx3

T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing... Only happens sometimes though... Weird... Did you check the connections under your seat?

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well something strange is going on.:rolleyes: I unplugged the connection under the seat and the indicator stayed on. :confused: The seatbelts also locked into place and I couldn't pull them out. Then I plugged the connection back in and the seatbelts work again and the indicator light stays off, even if I take the belt off while driving.:***: My end result is what I wanted, but, I don't understand how I got there.:rolleyes: :confused:

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indicator still staying off.:D But, today while sitting in truck with seatbelt on, and truck off, the belt wouldn't slacken untill I turned truck back on.:rolleyes: It only did this once.

MikeO

Reaction score
Joe -

It sounds like your seat belt timer could be acting up. On the QC, I believe that gremlin controls the warning light as well as the retractor locks. Check your under-seat wiring for abrasions or other damage too...

infidel

Full of It
Reaction score
just so you know

Next step when the seat belt timer starts going out is it drains your batteries when parked.

MUDDY

Reaction score
i had no lite come on but i did have the darn thing drain my batts on my 98.5. took several days sittin to do it

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havn't had any probs with the batteries, yet, I'll have to go out and check the wiring. The batteries are original and will be do for new ones by fall.

Is there a way to check the belt timer? Or, should I just replace it?

infidel

Full of It
Reaction score
Joe, what happens when the timer fails is that it supplies power to keep the belts released when even when parked, this is what drains the batteries. You have to "sneak up" on it to check if this is happening by leaving the window open, if the door is opened the belts will release. The key must also be removed for at least 20 minutes. Reach in the window after the truck has been parked awhile, if the belt is unlocked the timer is shot.

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by infidel
Joe, what happens when the timer fails is that it supplies power to keep the belts released when even when parked, this is what drains the batteries. You have to "sneak up" on it to check if this is happening by leaving the window open, if the door is opened the belts will release. The key must also be removed for at least 20 minutes. Reach in the window after the truck has been parked awhile, if the belt is unlocked the timer is shot.

I performed this test and the belts stayed locked. I then opened the doors and the belts unlocked. :thanks:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance