Scrap a cab and/or a frame with no title?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I have a friend that has a cab off a frame from a slantnose but no title from it. Got it out of a deceased relative's estate. Again no title, so is there a way to scrap this thing or is it pretty much just stuck where it's at?

He doesn't want to go through the death certificate process for a lost title etc. Just looking to move this thing. It and another truck were combined to make one good one.

thanks

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cut it up.
here, i just give it to people, no title needed.
just got rid of the bronco w/o title.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every yard is different and some will take more risks then others when it comes to dealing with the state regs. Yard I use on a regular basis for most things requires title be in my name so up until recently I used another that had dealer status and as long as the vin was clean they would take just about anything. Unfortunately scrap steel prices have tanked this summer and with that yard being in a booming area, owner took an offer he couldn't refuse and sold the property.

Like Idiot said cut it up...torch certainly works but I have also cut cars in half in less then 30 minutes with one good sawzaw blade and some oil to keep the blade cool. With steel prices being around 2.5-3 cents a pound in most areas it might not be worth your time and just give it away to a scrapper and let them deal with it.

jhenegh

Reaction score
Every yard is different and some will take more risks then others when it comes to dealing with the state regs. Yard I use on a regular basis for most things requires title be in my name so up until recently I used another that had dealer status and as long as the vin was clean they would take just about anything. Unfortunately scrap steel prices have tanked this summer and with that yard being in a booming area, owner took an offer he couldn't refuse and sold the property.

Like Idiot said cut it up...torch certainly works but I have also cut cars in half in less then 30 minutes with one good sawzaw blade and some oil to keep the blade cool. With steel prices being around 2.5-3 cents a pound in most areas it might not be worth your time and just give it away to a scrapper and let them deal with it.

In this situation, I'm the "give it away to a scrapper" guy. I don't scrap much, maybe 1-2 loads a year but I have some stuff to take in to clean up before winter so him and I are trying to figure out what to do with it. Nobody is trying to make money here, just cleaning up the place.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
round here, i just set things up front, and call my lill hispanic buddys...
let them F with it, and the yard stays semi clean!

he usually gives me like 15 bucks for a ton, enough to buy a 6 pack.

You must be registered for see images attach

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's off the frame it shouldn't be a problem. I've cut a truck in half and set the front half facing rear and the rear half facing forward and they took it.

I've also heard of a few yards that if it's burnt there is no questions asked.

Shouldn't be much of a problem getting rid of it

jhenegh

Reaction score
Just called the place I'll be going and they said the cab & frame have to come in on a separate load if there's no title... doable I suppose. Maybe I'll make the cab and/or frame into pieces....

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah some saws all action can save a lot of hassle.

Place I use lets me get a dumpster. I've put whole cars in there. Never a question. I can normally get 3-4 ton of car body type stuff in a dumpster.

Last edited:

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
last one i took to a place in south fort wayne and all i did was quarter the cab with a sawzall and cut the frame up into two or three sections

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the condition of the cab? are the floors any good? I may come and buy it off you?? My Sons 84 f250 needs floors.

jhenegh

Reaction score
Whats the condition of the cab? are the floors any good? I may come and buy it off you?? My Sons 84 f250 needs floors.

The floors are surprisingly decent, but the seam between the floorpan and rockers is GONE on both sides. Just waving in the wind. Probably a 0.25-2" gap bewteen the rocker and floorpan on each side. I don't think I'd try to work with it but if you want a pic let me know. I'm taking it it Tuesday morning but it was the last thing loaded today so it could be taken back off easy enough LOL

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A picture would be great! his floor is gone on both sides behind the seat in the corners and along the rockers is ate up pretty good. I knew that floor pans and rockers were available. I just can't locate a back floor pan so either fabricate or cut out of another cab

jhenegh

Reaction score
A picture would be great! his floor is gone on both sides behind the seat in the corners and along the rockers is ate up pretty good. I knew that floor pans and rockers were available. I just can't locate a back floor pan so either fabricate or cut out of another cab

Sent ya a message. Will work on it