Saving summer oil during winter season?

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally when I'm doing a bunch of short trips I leave it running. I have 2 keys so if need be I can lock it when I run in somewhere. I guess I get that from driving the big rig. Once I start it first thing in the morning it doesn't shut down until I go home for the night. That could help you out with your starting issues until you get some cash to fix some things.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see a problem in draining it and re using it. Like Jim said just make sure everything is clean.

I'm a firm believer in thinner oil during the winter. It makes a night and day difference in how the engine starts and runs.

+100

There is a noticeable cold starting difference running 10W30 (I've never used 5W40 but predict it would be fine as well) in cold starts vs 15W40 conventional.

But I use 10W30 all year around anyway. When I got my truck, that was the recommended oil grade. Also, since my truck lives in a relatively cool climate now and no longer does long distance towing, it's an appropriate grade. I used API SF/CC 10W30 in mine from about '87 into the early '90s, and that included a LOT of heavy towing, then went to the then-new SF/CD 15W40 dual rated oil when I had trouble finding dual rated 10W30. As soon as it was readily available some years later, I went back.

By then I had learned some things about oil so made some tests. The first was to average engine oil temps over about a year. Oil temp seldom approached 200F but basically never exceeded the 212F point where the operating viscosity grade (the "30" in a 10W30) is measured. I also tested oil pressure at the same temp with fresh 10W30 and fresh 15W40 and there was only about a 4psi difference at 2000 rpm. Actual viscosity is measured in centistokes (cSt) but the "30" is a grade that fits within a range of actual viscosity. When oil is cooler, it is thicker and vice versa and if you apply normal operating temps to a viscosity chart, as I did, you can see approximately where the viscosity is running. In my case the average oil temps were between 170 and 190F and the 30 grade oil I was using (Rotella-T Triple protection, which is thick in grade, I now use the 10W30 Rotella T-5 which is similarly thick in grade) was most often running in a 40 grade territory anyway. Using a 15W40 viscosity chart with those numbers, it would be running in 50 grade territory most of the time. I had an oil temp gauge hooked up for about two years and my logs show over 200F temps only a few times during that period and never over 212F. If the oil temps exceed 212F by too much then the oil gets too thin and that can be dangeroo long term.

There are a couple of other standards to apply as well, one of which is fuel dilution. Enough of that an the 15W40 gets dangerously thin and 10W30 gets dangerously thin a bit faster. I've done enough oil analysis over the years to know that this is not a problem on my truck and I do a sniff test on the dipstick regularly so it won't catch me by surprise if something goes wrong suddenly.

Another factor is shearing, whereby the Viscosity Index Improvers in the oil are mechanically "sheared" or worn out. These VII are what gives oil it's multi-grade/all season performance. Eventually these VII polymers wear out (in any oil) and the oil begins to revert back to it's base grade, which is on the thing side of the equation. The wider the difference between the "W" number (the "10") and the summer (the "30"), the more VIIs are in the oil. A 15W40 actually has more of a gap than 10W30, so in theory would shear more. In practice, shearing is not much of a problem these days because of the improvements in the VII. In old school diesel like ours, the oil usually thickens first due to soot. We used to see a fair bit of shearing in the old 15W40 oils but it's not common these days, even in the conventional realm.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest a battery tender of some sort. Maybe even a solar one. Not a lot of day light in SD in the winter I suppose but it would work anywhere. If you leave it in the truck all the time it might just keep you topped up.

I think I may put a trickle charger on mine that is hard wired to the block heater cord so that if the block heater is on the trickle charger is on. But we will see how fussy it is.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I may put a trickle charger on mine that is hard wired to the block heater cord so that if the block heater is on the trickle charger is on. But we will see how fussy it is.

We do that to a lot of our equipment that goes to North Dakota, or gets left alone in the colder parts of Idaho, works really well.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would wire the trickle charger separately. They draw soooo little power, and provide such a slow charge to the batteries (esp. since it's charging two in parallel at the same time), that you want it running a lot longer than the block heater. I would use an extension cord with a triple socket on the end, or put a heavy duty triple tap on it. That way, you can keep the trickle charger plugged in all / most of the time, and then plug in the block heater only when you need it (or put it on a timer).

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought about that too. Plug in and put a timer and relay with a switch for nights you know you are going to drive the truck the next morning so it kicks on a while before leaving time.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was tempted with all the snake oil, being new to diesels, but decided against it. What does that stuff do? Supposed to clean and increase compression? I looked extensively online and recall finding one person mention before and after compression numbers and there was a marginal increase. I recall looking at beofre/adfter pictures under valve covers but don't recall whether there was any appreciable difference so doubt there was.

The stuff is supposed to clean, and maybe does a little. Does it clean $50+ worth? per oil change? Not for me it doesn't. For what it costs I'd just as soon pull the engine when the time comes and clean it proper and rering or do the machine work to rebuild it.

All I can say about AutoRX is don't knock it until you've tried it. Read the responses from users on this and other private sites. AutoRX isn't snake oil. My old truck pulled a hill that I drove everyday by my house a gear taller after one proper use. Many similar results from others. It's not the equivalent to a rebuilt motor, but $50 doesn't go very far with rebuilding or your time. Give it a shot, you'll be surprised at the real world results of AutoRX.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see the frigid temps some of you guys do. 20F is rare here but my truck always started right up with 15w40 without any heaters plugged in. I do have some 5w40 i'm going to use this winter if it ever gets here. So far the coldest it's been was 38F.

The one bad thing about the 5w40 is that it drinks it much faster than 15w40.

Maybe sometime i'll plug in the heaters for fun.