Saginaw Conversion

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so now that the site is up and running again, I will try this post again. I am new to the site, just bought a '94 turbo eclb very excited only 150,000 miles. the problem is that the power steering pump is going out,and i would like to upgrade to a saginaw. I know on the gassers you can get a bracket off a van. is it the same bracket for the 7.3? i have seen alot of people saying they have done it, but have not been able to track down a clear write up yet.

i will start a proper intro thread hopefully after i get some pictures this weekend.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
All E-series vans, half tons - 1 tons, gas or diesel, all had Saginaw pumps. Find a Diesel van in a scrap yard, and you have all your parts right there.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Yes I am! I took it off a van, bolted it on my old F250 with a 5.8. I took it off of that when I sold the truck and then bolted it on my Diesel!

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I am! I took it off a van, bolted it on my old F250 with a 5.8. I took it off of that when I sold the truck and then bolted it on my Diesel!

Hmmm. well i hope that is true. i have a bracket and pump off a 5.8 as well. i guess we will see this weekend. i hope it works, because i went to 5 junk yards today and none of them had any diesel anything in them, let alone a van. shoot there were only two econolines and both were gas engines.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Time out! Yours is a 94? I am not sure how the serpentine belt set up will work..... I just caught that. Mine has v belts.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these pumps are what give you the old school "easy pinky steering" right?
what would a guy look for if he wanted all new? i see them sold for around 100-150 on summit/jegs etc.which part numbers to get? will the pulley swap over to run a serp belt? what about a bracket for the '92.5+ serp belt setup trucks?

Good reason to get V belts.
i would never revert back to them old belts.iv had my share of old vehicles enough to know them very well.:D

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what would a guy look for if he wanted all new? i see them sold for around 100-150 on summit/jegs etc.which part numbers to get? will the pulley swap over to run a serp belt? what about a bracket for the '92.5+ serp belt setup trucks?

i would never revert back to them old belts.iv had my share of old vehicles enough to know them very well.:D

the problem is you cannot just bolt up the pump. it will not line up with the mounting holes, you have to get a whole different bracket. I have a bracket off a serpentine 5.8 that i originally bought for my bronco, but if it works i was going to put it on the truck for now and then get another one for the bronco, but it is sounding like i need a diesel specific bracket. i will know for sure this weekend.

anyone have an extra diesel van ps bracket they would want to part with?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score

Look at it this way, the steering wheel in my 11k lbs motorhome, is easier to turn, STANDING still, than driving down the road, in my F150...... nuff said LOL

All the GM and Ford higher end cars from the 70's and 80's and some early 90's used the Saginaw pump, and had the "no feel" easy power steering. You can put a pencil on one side of the steering wheel, and it would turn it :D

mooseracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at it this way, the steering wheel in my 11k lbs motorhome, is easier to turn, STANDING still, than driving down the road, in my F150...... nuff said LOL

I added one to my F150 with 37's and the plow hanging off the front it turns easier than almost any vehicle on the road. I've also modified it a little to work better for my MM hydro winch as well.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I figured the serp bracket wouldn't fit...it's totally different bolting on the head...I know I tried....I have a 5.0/5.8 van saginaw serp bracket...I need a van diesel serp bracket and have a WTB in the marketplace I bump now n then...LOL...was gonna try n cut the sag serp bracket and machine/weld/fit it to a stock diesel for C2 pump bracket.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen several diesel ones in the Junkyard and have one myself. I just haven't had time to getthe other ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online