Safe running rpm

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Wanted to see what the max running rpm would be for my '87 250 w/6.9. C6 trans and 3.55 gears. I'm around 2800 rpm @ 65mph. Here in Jersey at that speed I have to stay in the right lane. Don't know if running at 3000 for an hour or so will be pushing my luck. Most of the time I'm empty. Thanks

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a tach but cross country was going about 68 the whole way on the flats and it was pretty up there since I have just the T19. No issues doing that 5 days straight.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man. When I get up there in rpm it's like I'm torturing it. Turn the radio louder I guess. At least it has the 3.55's. Putting my '91 up for sale---gonna miss the E4OD. That was nice on the highway.

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will the engine will go faster than you feel safe

I went 85 one time, just a little sketchy on the turning

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you definitely have to drive it with both hands on the wheel. 65 feels like 65. Not like in a new car and you're going 80, but it still feels slow. You need to be awake. LOL

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw
My 93 has right at 50k factory miles on it.
I towed a 6k 5er to Alaska n back, a few times I needed a gear splitter on some grades and ended up on the governor cus it would not pull the next gear.
Every time she kept reasonable egt\coolant temps but allways felt like is was being held back (cus it was) Now I have no clue what it would do in 5th on the governor....
I did tow at 85 thru B.C. On occasion (capped by tire speed rating) and having to lift:Thumbs Up

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know.....I haven't had to the floor yet. Still getting the old lady up to speed after sitting for 6 or so years.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanna say 32-3500
It is listed in the tech articles somewhere...

There is an 4k spring available as I recall.

rempfer

Reaction score
I sort of hijacked your thread, sorry. I guess I really meant to ask what the (governed) factory RPM limit on these engines is, from anybody on the forum.