Safe running rpm

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The IH/U-Haul pump governed speed is ~2800 RPM

The Ford Pickup/Van spec is ~3800...... but most start to defuel in the 32-3300 range......

As mentioned above, on the governor all day is fine. Towcat ran a fleet of tow truck, and his rollback was an F-Superduty (450) and had 5:13 (or higher) gears in it and he said basically if the truck is moving, it’s on the governor...... he ran hundreds of thousands of miles that way....

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my LuluBelle running 4.10s and a 5 speed usually runs 2200 rpm at about 60 mph. Due to the fact I sometimes drive long distances ( West Texas) I try to keep it at 60 and maybe 65 mph..... HOWEVER, when she starts running rough, I take her out, flog the peewadding out of her, and give her a dose of Butchs Extreme.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought my 6.9 was de-fueling at about 2700 rpms, the other day hauling wood I thought the poor old guy had really lost some HP trying to go up a big hill near my house. I got home and just for kicks had the wife hold the throttle down to the floor with the truck off while I stood outside and watched the throttle move on the IP and I had at best 2/3 throttle floored. 3 zip ties after making sure I didn't see the cable frayed at the ends on either side and it's as happy as my 7.3 now.

I don't know exactly where I was for the second load of wood RPM wise because I was above 3k somewhere and looked behind me and the moose pump was dusting mosquitos, the ace hardware store, and the 7 cars behind me on the hill. EGT's at 1100 in third with a T19 / 3.55's loaded on that hill on the governor, I'll take it. Shifting to 4th just made it hotter. That hill is not friendly or short.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It's almost deafening driving my RV at 60+mph, partly due to the dog house cover but also because it has a 4.10 rear end, so the RPMs are up there. It takes a lot to move that brick. You can tell how the music (yeah I'm weird) is almost totally drowned out compared to when I am at a stop sign. Yeah that cheapo radio I had in it doesn't get super loud but still, I had it turned up all the way in both parts of the video and I could half to barely hear it at about 60mph, give or take.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Higher RPM actually allows more air through the engine and helps control EGTs. It will be loud, but that's to be expected. I run tall gearing in my truck but am always very aware of when to downshift when towing or on hills. I'll also agree these engines need to be run ******* a regular basis to keep them in good order.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I don't know.....I haven't had to the floor yet. Still getting the old lady up to speed after sitting for 6 or so years.

I have had my RV with the pedal to the floor (with both mechanical lift and now electric) and yeah it's loud but it doesn't sound THAT bad in terms of RPMs? Still deafening since it's half way into the cab, but doesn't seem too fast. And it's a turbo'd 6.9. Boost stays within reason for head bolts. It's such a brick that quite honestly, the top speed is probably 85-90 with the pedal to the floor on a flat highway. I've had it up to 80 or 85 when passing a semi in west TX (still had people on my tail in the 75 zone) and it felt like that that was close to it's limit.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cubey, my friend we call Interstate 10 the west Texas autobahn.... Ive clocked people at 115 mph on a 2 land road( State Why 67 ) knowing full well a nice 8 point buck might jump out and cause a wreck or worse. Speed limits seem to be suggestions at best, but when you live 50+ miles from the nearest McDonalds you takes your chances!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cubey, my friend we call Interstate 10 the west Texas autobahn.... Ive clocked people at 115 mph on a 2 land road( State Why 67 ) knowing full well a nice 8 point buck might jump out and cause a wreck or worse. Speed limits seem to be suggestions at best, but when you live 50+ miles from the nearest McDonalds you takes your chances!

How exactly did you clock them? (asking for a friend ;Poke)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

And that's why the world looks at Texans (and Americans as a whole) as stupid. How stupid must you be to risk your lives and the lives of others over ****** fast food?

Last edited:

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the most common food in west Texas? Maybe Joe needs to switch it up once in a while:)

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is governed @3800. It pulles right up to that rpm then the fuel shuts off like a switch.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to have to get out to rt 78 and open it up. Don't want to be around anyone while I'm crop dusting. Seems like the motor is definitely getting looser. The idle dropped a hair and she is getting smoother. Probably getting the last of the old fuel out. On my second full tank.

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I picked up my E-350 ambulance for the first time, I drove it from Boston to Philly.
Like Cubey said.. with the dog house, the motor is right there.
It has 4.10 gears.. and a cracked exhaust manifold at the time.
At highway speeds.. it was SO LOUD..for hours.. soo loud. (good times haha)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online