Sad (sort of funny tho)

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have known better (do now) but went into local FORD stealership and asked service writer if they had any techs that could time an "IDI 7.3". "I have plenty of techs that can time that". How much? Starts typing and asks year. I tell him "93 7.3". He says, "that's a diesel, I don't think you can set timing on a diesel!! :rotflmao:shocked: Not just my diesel, any diesel. I said of "course you can" so he wants to start diagnosis at $125/hour.:eek: I said "don't need fishing expedition, just set timing." At that point conversation went down hill and I left laughing and grumbling (but went around back to parts for some VC9). Will not darken service dept doorway again.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I once went into an auto parts store needing a return line kit, as I was on a trip and needed a new injector cap. He couldn't find any using his searches and then told me he was ASE certified mech and that "they don't sell those things, I've never seen them. You might need to go to a junkyard to get one." Laughed and went down the street to another store.

Maybe he was thinking a hard fuel line from the tank or something I don't know, I just thought it was funny he puffed his chest and exclaimed how he knew everything automotive while being wrong. Stay humble

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once ran out of fuel right as I pulled up at the pump. After I filled up the tanks and the fuel filter I drained my batteries trying to reprime it. I my jumpers hooked up to a truck of a guy who boasted he was a Cummins diesel mechanic. He just could not get the concept that these have a mechanical lift pump instead a an electric fuel pump and kept telling me I was priming it wrong... until it started to his amazement lol!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
An O'Reilly clerk once told me that metric thread brake fittings don't exist because they didn't have any on their rack. I went to Napa across town and they had them on their rack.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count your blessings!

In the corporate world, he's likely your boss!

He looks good in suit and tie, has good "people skills", gives good first impressions and hand shakes.

Knows and socializes with the right people.

And doesn't know squat about anything else.

And you find yourself ordered to do crap work. Resist and lose your job.

Obey and lose it as well. They will justify it as either " not being a team player" if you insist on doing what you feel is right, or "incompetent" if you went with the flow and have the inevitable train wreck of a poorly done job.

Mjdavidson1

Reaction score
Several years back I went into a newly opened o’reilys to get u-joints for my brothers truck. I told the person behind the counter I needed greasable u-joints for a 2wd regular cab 94 f150 with a 300 and manual trans. They punch it in and go back and bring out non greasable joints. I tell them I wanted greaseable. They argue with me for a minute and then a guy I could only assume was the manager said “go get the other ones to show him the difference” so the person goes into the back and brings out the exact same u-joint only with a different number. I tried to explain they were the same, and they were exactly the same. At this point the employee pulls the bearing cap off and says “see! They are greasable!” I walked out and went two doors down to autozone.

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to o Reilys in Laramie WY and told the kid I needed motorcraft ZD9 glow plugs and he said that he couldn’t find the part number in his computer.... :/ then we got the manager and she looked at the kid like he was stupid walked to the back and brought me out all 8 lol

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the "mechanics" for who I drive truck for told me he used to own and IDI. I was talking to him a few years back and told him I had timed my truck and a few others. He looked me straight in the eye and told me all you do is line up the marks to time these engines. I tried to fill him in on the need to time it and how to do it and he told me I was not very bright. That explained a lot about why my truck doesn't get repaired correctly at work.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the "mechanics" for who I drive truck for told me he used to own and IDI. I was talking to him a few years back and told him I had timed my truck and a few others. He looked me straight in the eye and told me all you do is line up the marks to time these engines. I tried to fill him in on the need to time it and how to do it and he told me I was not very bright. That explained a lot about why my truck doesn't get repaired correctly at work.

Misinformed know it all idiots. Everywhere...

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Sounds like the O'Reilly manager here in springtown Texas. A few years ago while rebuilding my 6.9 I asked for wrist pin bushings. Said there's no such thing.I was already in a terrible mood anyway and he was kind of giving me a bit of an attitude. So I said you haven't been selling parts long have you? he replied that he'd been managing the store for close to 12 years and sold thousands of parts and that there were never any such thing. My reply might have been a bit sh***y when I asked him well then I guess you've never heard of a combustion engine before. Right about that time my wife pulled upand told him I have it from here boss you apparently don't know what you're talkin aboutso go grab this man a light bulb repair kit and a muffler bearing. as he looked at her stupid she stroked the keyboard a few times and pulled up the part and told me it would be in in about 3 business days. He went over there looking frantically as he couldn't stand looking dumb in front of his employees to a customer and his wife who also happened to be an employee. Just so happen the district merchandiser happened to be down one of the isles in the dorman area. Oh boy who had been managing for 12 years got bumped down and my old lady is now a fellow district merchandiser and got herself a nice little $4 raise. And just as she said the wrist pins arrived three days later. after we got off work that day we had a nice little chuckle.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the O'Reilly manager here in springtown Texas. A few years ago while rebuilding my 6.9 I asked for wrist pin bushings. Said there's no such thing.I was already in a terrible mood anyway and he was kind of giving me a bit of an attitude. So I said you haven't been selling parts long have you? he replied that he'd been managing the store for close to 12 years and sold thousands of parts and that there were never any such thing. My reply might have been a bit sh***y when I asked him well then I guess you've never heard of a combustion engine before. Right about that time my wife pulled upand told him I have it from here boss you apparently don't know what you're talkin aboutso go grab this man a light bulb repair kit and a muffler bearing. as he looked at her stupid she stroked the keyboard a few times and pulled up the part and told me it would be in in about 3 business days. He went over there looking frantically as he couldn't stand looking dumb in front of his employees to a customer and his wife who also happened to be an employee. Just so happen the district merchandiser happened to be down one of the isles in the dorman area. Oh boy who had been managing for 12 years got bumped down and my old lady is now a fellow district merchandiser and got herself a nice little $4 raise. And just as she said the wrist pins arrived three days later. after we got off work that day we had a nice little chuckle.

I love it when things work out like that!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance