rust proofing primer

snatchal

Reaction score
Planning to paint my frame and flatbed cause they are rusty. What is a good product to use to seal in the rust?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i have had excellet results using SEM Rust shield. I painted a frame with it about 3 years ago and its been outside exposed to the weather since day 1 and its still shiny. it passed the same 1000hr salt spray test that POR 15 did and is half the cost. just make sure to top coat it with some cheap paint to keep it from fading. i used cheap tractor supply implement paint.

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loctite 75430 Extend Rust Treatment is a great product but slightly pricy but works great with little prep time. You just wire brush the rusty surface and then clean and apply the solution. It forms a reaction with the rust and kills it and creates a barrier. You can also apply a top coat over this. It will run about $32.00 per quart but it seems to go along way.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Eastwood rust encapsulator. It is designed to chemically neutralize the rust therefore stopping it not just covering it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have a gallon of anchor 501 saf-t-gard that was given to me when I bought my flatbed.
I plan to just get a cheap HF blaster to do it.

I wire wheeled the frame and used the rust-oleum rust preventative primer, also got a gloss top coat, just haven't done it yet. Though I did do a test area.

IMO, wire wheeling would take way to long on a flatbed. Especially if you're doing the under side also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online