Primer pump/bulb?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fuel gauge doesn't work and I guess my tank selector was a problem so my truck is only running off the front tank.
And I don't know the condition of that showerhead so I don't drive more than 100 mi. before fueling.
But one of these days, before I can deal with my tanks and selector, I may get in a pickle and run out of fuel.
I was driving an import diesel box truck for work years ago and ran out of fuel and I just tilted the cab and there was a fuel primer and I was back on the road in no time.
How to get that fuel primer on my IDI?
I've read about the rag and compressed air into the fuel filler neck. But who has a compressor when they run out of fuel on the road? Or would one of those cheapo DC tire inflators work for that?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So the few times I've run out of fuel and had to reprime on the side of the road, I just press the Schrader valve and jump the starter relay to reprime. Usually goes pretty fast. If you were to put a primer ball in, it would have to go somewhere between the switching valve and the lift pump.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The few times I've run out of fuel getting the vehicle restarted was easily done in a couple of minutes using the schrader valve to speed it up. Stock mechanical lift pump... I'd bet that even without lifting the hood the truck would restart after a few minutes of reasonable cranking. Adding anything new on the fuel line carries the risk of air intrusion - IMHO.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I usually disconnect fss wire and put it on the cold advance terminal while cranking. Usually short cranking bursts until fuel is at shrader valve, then some more cranking to make sure the pump is full. Fss is disconnected because Injector lines are most likely full of fuel, and power is put to cold advance terminal to speed up flow through the pump. Then hook up wires and crank....hopefully start.