Running problem please help

ACBill

Bill Gibson
Reaction score
i'm at my wits end with my 86 6.9.It has been nearly trouble free for a long time
till now.
It starts cold and runs ok for a minute or so then nearly dies & pours out a huge fog of white smoke.Won't clear up till shut off for an hour or so.:dunno
Changed fuel filter,poured in a bottle of stanadyne additive .lots of fuel to pump .Any help would be appreciated.http://www.oilburners.net/forums/images/smilies/shrug.gif

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke is an indication of either oil or coolant being burnt, in most cases... How are both of those levels and does there appear to be any type of contamination in either?

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
your getting air in the system somewhere, if its like a min after starting, the problem could be in the tank. are you full?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White smoke on a cold engine could be just a simple air intrusion. It's actually blue smoke that's cold. How long is a "minute"? Try this next time before you go to start it, spin off your fuel filter and make sure it is full to overflowing. If you spin it off and dont spill anything, it's likely an air problem.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
White smoke means we have a new Pope.....;p As posted above. Try that and post back for more help. Plenty here for the asking.

ACBill

Bill Gibson
Reaction score
LMAO maybe the pope will help?
Seriously though no fuel in the return line at the pump.
The search is on now for a plugup or the like.
Thanks guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle