Running 2" wheel spacers?

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Would it be possible/safe to install a set of 2" wheel spacers on the 250? It has a D50 front and sterling 10.25 rear, would they clear the rear studs? Would they be safe for hauling 3-4 tons?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short answer...no it would not be safe. Adding spacers will increase the wear of your wheel bearings and decrease your hauling capabilities. I was thinking about doing this to my 98 gm truck when many people told me not to do that. Many tire and automotive shops will not work on your vehicle if you have wheel spacers on your rig.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For plain old spacers, I doubt the studs are long enough for much more than maybe 1/2".

What has already been mentioned about bearing load is more critical on semi-floating hubs; you can get away with a bit more on full-floating hubs, within reason.

The manufacturers, all three of them, have been using very wide spacers on all of the DRW 1-ton 4x4 trucks for many years; the front axle of a DRW 1-ton is no more than a 3/4-ton SRW axle/hub with this spacer added.

That being said, the only safe spacers are those that have a set of studs made onto the spacers and a shoulder for hub-centric wheels to ride on; you attach the spacer with your existing lug-nuts, then mount the wheels onto the spacers studs.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Darrin Tosh please..............

I guess you are talking about the rear wheels being spaced out to match the front track width? Darrin has these on Big Ed and it really allows his truck to pull off the whole look with the mini rear flares and side pipes. Maybe he will chime in with some more info on them.:angel:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 1.75 inch spacers on the front of my crawler. Don't skimp out and buy the cheap ones.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition to the dually conversion spacers I have front and rear, which are about 4" added to factory 3/4 ton axles, I also run a 2" spacer in between my rear duals. With 37" tires for the past 4+ years daily driving this thing, I've definitely wore through parts faster than anything close to a factory configuration - but have yet to have any wheel bearing issues. I would be suprised if you find that it effects your hauling capabilities.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I have the billet amuminum spacers with studs in them. Are the rear studs too long for the spacers to cover them completely. I have the full floating rear.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i had to cut about half inch off my stock front studs. rears are even longer so i would say you will need to cut them back some.

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear studs are about ~2" in length anyways. I saw in the original post you're wanting to run 2" spacers. You should be able to get away with not having to cut studs.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh...instead of spacers....why not just get wheels with a different offset by 2" wouldn't that solve this problem, plus be one less item to fail instead of adding a potential point of failure?

JM2CW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726