1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rocker Arm - Valve Cover Interference

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by WarNose, May 19, 2019.

1. WarNose

WarNose Full Access Member

[​IMG]

I finally pulled the valve cover to determine what has been making a strange tapping noise. The extra lift on my new Typ4 cam has my rocker arms hitting the CDR baffle. I guess I'll have to switch to and RDT so that I can run a valve cover without the baffle. Until then I'm going to glue two double-stacked gaskets together with Permatez Aviation Cement and hope for no leaks.

Next on the list, I'm going to try cleaning out these relatively new injectors to get rid of the noise that they make. Hopefully I don't have to buy a new set. These have less than 10,000 miles on them.

2. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

That’s odd, @typ4 have you seen this before? Are you sure the rocker is tightened down all the way? I’ve seen these torque to spec with the comp 910s before they are actually tightened down all the way, and had to rotate the engine to get that lifter off the lobe.

3. WarNose

I'm pretty certain that they are torqued down. I just put the wrench on them again today because I thought they might have loosened and that what was causing the noise. They are probably over-torqued now because I turned them a bit more than what I had previously set them with the torque wrench. I've already quit for the day to let the gaskets dry. When I go to put the valve cover back on tomorrow, I will check them again.

4. WarNose

One thing is for sure, I am not going back to the stock cam. I love how this motor runs. I'm going to pull the camping trailer for the first time this weekend, so I'm going for the quick double gasket fix.

5. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Could you maybe put some "clearance dents" in the baffle so that the rockers won't hit? Just in case you don't want to run a RDT.

6. WarNose

Yeah, but I was thinking that I might have to cut the spot welds so that it wouldn't distort the gasket surface. But cutting the spot welds would leave all kinda of metal particles trapped behind the baffle.

7. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Whichever way you go, please let us know. I'm interested.

8. WarNose

Will do. I'm planned on putting the RDT anyway since I'm planning on intercooling and don't want that filling up with oil. I want to run it all tue way out back, with a catch can as far back as possible. I figure that by the time the oil mist gets back there it will have had time to condense, making it easier to trap in the catch can.

9. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Not a bad idea. I like it.

10. YJMike92

YJMike92 Full Access Member

Are you running different/new rocker arms with the new cam? If so I wonder if they are the problem?

11. WarNose

I replaced the rocker arms, pushrods, and lifters. All were listed as stock replacement. The rocker arms are Sealed Power R1119. The pushrods are Sealed Power RP-3237. Pushrod length is listed as either 9.989" or 10.013", depending on where you look.

They are 7.3 rockers on 6.9 heads. I don't know if that means anything.
    Tonight I'll compare them to what came out.

Considering how deep the dents are, the stock clearance must have been pretty close.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  12. Coastaldigger

Coastaldigger Registered User

What kinda of lifters did you go for? Ordering up Mahles today I believe

13. YJMike92

If you don't want China made buy the Melling. I have a set of Mahle I will probably send back because they are made in Chna

14. YJMike92

I would look at all the other components before I fault the cam.

15. WarNose

They are either Sealed Power or Melling. I can't remember which.

You would be hard pressed to find in my posts where I have blamed the cam. Re-read post #4 for what I have said about the cam.

Edit: My apologies. It does sound a bit like I blamed the cam at first. I wasn't really, though. I know that performance parts can cause dificulties, and the cam is one of the only performance parts on this motor.

Last edited: May 20, 2019