Valve cover with baffle.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello one and all.
Well, I pulled the engine, removed everything, pulled off the last valve cover and the oil baffle inside the valve cover with the vent valve was bouncing off the valve train.
Can you say metal in the engine?
Guess I will scratch the oil pump and the oil cooler.
Promar engine was going good until the valve cover contaminated it.
So much for a 3 year warranty when my valve cover took a dump on it.
Now the engine is out, I ordered the Allison this morning and will wait 2 or 3 weeks for it to show up. Apparently Portland is a slow delivery zone and while the rest of the nation can get that kit in about 2 weeks tops, Portland is a dead zone, so add another week or even mo-ore for delivery of that kit.
Meanwhile I need to go through the 7.3 idiT with new oil pump, oil cooler, Bearings just because I am opening it up, add a girdle I ordered yesterday, and ??? Yes, I will get to pull the crank IF, IF the bearings are anywhere near funky looking.
Guess I am looking for a valve cover with the vent and baffle.
This ought'a be fun.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after a fast search around Portland, nothing has been found for a valve cover with a baffle under the vent valve. Hmm. Welding the other one back up is not a great confidence which leaves. . .
Not much else. Then again. . .
Anybody have one?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the vent valve you're talking about the CDR for the OE turbo setup? If so then you're right that will be a little hard to find. The fact that that let go is pretty crazy.
Perhaps you could find someone that can tack weld it back on?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. That is the monster. After haven given it a copious amount of thought, The thought of tack welding it back on is, in my opinion, a future possibility for another failure. Remove it completely? That would pump oil into the CDR. Not really a good thing. Fill the CDR with steel wool to stop it from filling with oil. That might work until either the steel wool fell into the valve train or got plugged up with age.
Well, that takes me back to a stone age approach. Nut and bolt.
Drill two holes through the valve cover, bolt upside down, nut on outside of valve cover, grade 8, held in place with heavy duty thread lock and using a nylock nut to back it up.
In fact, a double nut installation would pretty well guarantee no future loosening.
So, if anyone is reading this with a turbo engine, this failure so far has set me back just under a grand so far with all the peripheral parts purchased. I even bought a flush can and some trans flush to chase out the oil ports. This ought's be fun for the next 3 weeks between waiting for parts and reassembly.
I should even get the Dana 60 front axle installed while playing with this disaster. Then there is always the rear Super Duty springs installation. . . Oh yeah, I got the Allison kit ordered up and about to call about getting the Girdle for the bottom end. The heads are on with the ARP stud kit and not pulling those off at this time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01