Rings?

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
Just inspected my rings and there not the correct ones. I was just getting ready to install the damn pistons and was mulling over the tech specs and sure nough the lower compression ring is not even keystoned. *** now I KNOW, I need to check everything the machinst was supossed to do.:mad:

I cant find the correct rings anywhere? pls help:confused:

The Top compression ring is Identified as being in shape of a 15 degree keystone and haveing 1 round indentaion mark on the top of the ring.

The second compression ring is Identified as being in shape of a 6 degree keystone and haveing 2 round indentaion marks on the top of the ring.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like you got na rings the second is not keystone, If you have factory turbo pistons they will be, aftermaket could be either. btdt

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
sounds like you got na rings the second is not keystone, If you have factory turbo pistons they will be, aftermaket could be either. btdt

Not to hijack the thread , but will the turbo ring set work on n/a pistons and the other way around?
It would seem a double keystone set would benefit either engine.

---------Robert......soon to be doing a ring job on my 7.3 n/a :D

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
The fishy thing is that the top ring is keystoned but its not to the right degree.
The lower ring is not keystoned at all, it is a perfect rectangle that has a little bevel around the top of the circumfrence but when I took the rings off to inspect for grove whear etc..you can cleary see that both compression groves are keystoned.
It doesnt make sense to me to put a rectangle ring in a keystone grove, seems like that would damage the grove during operation?

Can anyone check and let me know where I can get the proper fitting rings for my factory turbo pistons?

much oblidged good sirs:angel:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they no longer available from Ford?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also check with International, their prices are not as inflated as Ford in most cases. Also if you look at Diesel Direct or Diesel Auto Services you might find some help. Just make sure that you tell whoever you buy from you ahve FACTORY turbo pistons(not aftermarket ones like Mahle) and see what you can come up with. Maybe even someone can still find the right part # for you. If it were me I'd start with International or your local Ford Stealer. Fordparst doesn't always have everything, and they don't list everything they have either.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you cant find the correct ones pm me with bore and piston brand and I can get you some part numbers. IIRC Mahle are oem on these engines, my na is.

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
K got the wife to call in the part number for me. Guy at Ford parts depot said that the ring part # she gave him was a discontinued part # and that it is under a new part # :confused:

He could not verify the Keystone or anything about the rings.
said I would have to order the complete set.:backoff

Thats about all she had time to get out of him.

I am woundering if I go ahead and order the rings blindly :rolleyes:
and you guys know the rest.

Anybody have an extra set of the rings I need for sale?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I talked with Mahle and got the part number for the rings that fit the turbo pistons and it is 14418N std. They fit the big pin pistons part number 1441800WR Std. Thats with rings and standard bore for all these numbers. They cost $150.00 from Diesel Direct. Hope it helps. If you need to talk with Mahle call 423-318-3325 and ask for Cathy.

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
Thank you, "icanfixall " your my hero,:love: I will check this out tomorrow. Your a gentlelman, thanks again.:hail

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
I know mine is not a turbo but I just bought these for my rebuild? did I get a deal?

Ebay sale!

Heads up!!!! Do not use "HASTINGS BRAND PISTON RINGS"...... You will have problems with those down the road!!! Use factor Ford or Sealed Power Moly rings and you wont have a problem at all. I promise you that. JMO

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heads up!!!! Do not use "HASTINGS BRAND PISTON RINGS"...... You will have problems with those down the road!!!

I am curious if you can qualify this statement with some reason and actual proof that the Hastings brand of rings are bad?

I know Sealed Power rings are good, I've used Hastings before with no issues what so ever hence the curiosity towards your statement.