Rig for racing roadtrips

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
There are a bunch of guys here, that go to the race, in 'Degga, every year.

Now they're talking about getting an old bus, or converting a semi, to haul everybody, and the gear.

Just wondering if y'all had any suggestions, or experience, on the subject.

The crew usually numbers about 16, with enough provisions for a week, including camping gear, picnic tables, etc.

Keep in mind that this is a low buck operation, so a $1.6 million, custom RV is not an option.

The semi they have in mind is a 73 Pete conventional, that may get stretched to around 300" wb.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with ownership of one.
It sounds like 16 guys would need lots of accomodations, so an R/V won't work, and a semi conversion would be really expensive.

Seems like you need a customized bus. Maybe one that a rock band, tour group, etc. used to own?
I see customized busses for sale in the "Big Truck & Equipment Trader" from time to time.

Repower it with a big pusher diesel and hit the road. LOL

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Well, the boss is an old school trucker. He didn't even flinch, when it was suggested to stretch old 'Jesse' to 300" wb. Now, he's on the lookout for a 22-24' ****** body, for the quarters. I figure by then, they'll have Byrd talked into taking his 24' race car trailer, to haul the goodies.

FYI, Jesse is a 73 Pete, with a big cam Cummins, 15 speed, KW sleeper stretched to 48". Jesse's got a sick mill, but knowing the boss, he'd overhaul it, in a heartbeat, if this deal was gonna happen.

Last edited:

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Duke,
By the time you are ready to pull out with old Jesse, she'll probably break down, and there goes all of that hard work.

I would look for a used bus conversion. There are a ton of them already done, and they can be bought for big bucks or for little bucks.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I have to agree by the time you stretch the frame on the Pete and rebuild the engine and add a box to it and convert it to living quarters it will prolly cost more than buying a converted bus.

You other option is get your boss to buy a 53' step deck trailer you guys buy your self some cheap 8 foot campers strap them down to the trailer.

To house 16 people you will need a fairly large unit even a converted bus would be pretty crowded.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Well guys, it seems the whole idea has been **** canned.:rolleyes:

Guess the boss, his son, brother, and nephew, are gong to ride their Harley's down to 'Degga. (actually the boss is riding his Goldwing, but that's better considering he's in his 60's.LOL )

That cuts the convoy crowd to 12, and one guy is driving his big block 'Burb, that seats 7-9, depending on comfort. Another one is taking his x-cab Ferd, so the short guys can ride the rumble seat.

The cost really wasn't the issue, as we'd have done the stretch/conversion, in-house. Overhauling the ole Cummins, isn't an issue, either. The boss has done it, in his driveway, in an afternoon, back in the old days.

Thanks for the thoughts, though.:Thumbs Up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online