brake job....drums/shoes stinkin it up

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had a leaky hub seal, so replaced seals on both sides.
also new US made raybestos drums, with monroe shoes. reason i went with monroe was they're riveted instead of bonded, and the friction material had a good "bite" to it.
new duralast rotors(best thing i could find locally, they have thicker surfaces, better machining for the bearing races, and cast-in bosses for the studs)
with raybestos advanced technology semi metallic pads.
also new brake hoses, brake fluid, cleaned the wheel cylinders which were replaced before i got the truck, lubed all metal-to-metal contacts, replaced pins on front calipers, new timken bearings and seal on front wheels, and got rid of the janky spindle lock nut set up i've never liked. used 6 cans of brake parts cleaner so no grease was left behind, anywhere. bled everything with a miteyvac.
overall, a pretty damn thorough brake job. oh and replaced gear oil with that fancy boy amsoil stuff.

went out to the nearest slow stretch of road, scared some scaredy-pants old man, he called the cops cause he thought i was following him since i was going up the road then turning around. whatever old man, keep on moving and mind your business.

so far i have maybe 250 miles on everything.
if i have to make a hard stop or two, like driving on a freeway with a high mpp and short off ramp into a downtown, i smell hot brakes. it's coming from the drums. not one side more than the other. i'm not out driving like a 16yr old in a cummins powered dodge, so i'm not making hard stops because i can't judge traffic.
i did make a hard stop from about 60mph to make a u-turn cause i missed and exit and had to sneak through one of those "authorized vehicle only" median crossovers (until the sign says exactly what those authorized vehicles are, i'll use them. i'm authorized to drive on the highway, so i'll use that crossover if i need to and an exit isn't in sight)

so short story long, is this normal? the smell goes away, no brake fade is noticed, my e-brake works, and seems like the adjuster works also, cause i changed those also.
i've replaced all the components on a truck like this before, just usually new shoes/turn the drums.
the pedal doesn't pulsate or anything after all this.
i'm just wondering if i didn't get to brake them in like i should have since the fuzz put a stop to that.
any input is appreciated, thanks

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you adjusted the rears too tight. Ive done that before and it stinks, are the drums burning hot when you stop the truck? Only way to really know is to take the temp with a thermal camera or thermometer, But if they are really hot after a drive then readjust the rear shoes

It could also be the brand / type of shoe or uneven wear on parts that cause uneven breaking, if you do pull the rears apart the shoues will tell the tale

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online