Reviving a 1990 F250

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the oil pan & reseal if not already done. No gaskets, just good silicone gasket sealer.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil Pan is on my list. Last several engines I have pulled oil pans all got Permatex Ultra Copper. Not one has leaked. So I will be doing the same thing to this one.

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did that once, and it was miserable. The only reason that I did it was because it was with my first 1985 F250 after the last time that I drove it. I didn't care about the rest of the front end of the truck at that point and just cut everything out of the way. It still didn't come out easy.

You must be registered for see images attach

:Thread hijack:
Dude, how are you alive?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
:Thread hijack:
Dude, how are you alive?
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the pictures. He must have known exactly when to dive into the floor!
Honestly, I was thrown out. If I had been wearing my seat belt, I would have died. I still have a few small scars from going through the driver's side window. The ones on my right cheek are hard to see, but the ones on my right arm are still visible.

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I was thrown out. If I had been wearing my seat belt, I would have died. I still have a few small scars from going through the driver's side window. The ones on my right cheek are hard to see, but the ones on my right arm are still visible.
Dang, man. That's wild. Glad you made it out alive...

See what I did there?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Dang, man. That's wild. Glad you made it out alive...

See what I did there?
Yes I did and thanks. I don't remember much from sliding off the highway until I landed. A friend and I went out a few days later to look at it. As far as we could tell, from where I was probably thrown out to the spot where I landed, we measured it at 75'. That's a rough guess, but between forward and down, we think I flew a long way. It's a good thing that it was extremely muddy. I must have rag dolled it the whole way because I climbed up to the highway and walked almost the whole half mile back to town before someone came along and offered me a ride.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What water pump is a trustworthy one? I am going to replace it while the engine is out and don't want a unit with a lifetime warranty that has to be replaced every year.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I started pulling the engine from the donor truck this weekend. Before I started I was running it for a while trying to get the oil gauge to work(aftermarket) it was reading no oil pressure at first and I added 5 quarts of oil and then bled the line to the gauge and got the air out and it started reading between 5-10 psi at idle and didn't seem to change when reving it up. The engine sounds good and doesn't knock or have any unusual ticks from what I can hear. Should I change the oil pump while the engine is out just in case?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You should have double checked it with another gauge while the engine was still in the donor truck. It was 5 qts low on oil? You know that's half an oil change, right? I'd pull the pan and check the bearings for wear. Pull the valve covers and check the rockers and push rods as well. If the lower bearings have wear, the cam bearings probably do too.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine is still in the truck and functioning aside from the coolant being drained. Where can I hook up a oil pressure tester to the engine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online