Reviving a 1990 F250

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have the ZF-5 trans and was planning on leaving it in place. anything special I need to pay attention to with that?
I did that once, and it was miserable. The only reason that I did it was because it was with my first 1985 F250 after the last time that I drove it. I didn't care about the rest of the front end of the truck at that point and just cut everything out of the way. It still didn't come out easy.

You must be registered for see images attach

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... that doesn't look like a fun last ride. So should I disconnect and drop the trans under the truck or try pulling it out of the front with the engine? Not sure if my engine lift will handle both at one time.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I really don't remember much of that last part. Personally, I would pull engine and transmission seperately. Some people, Thewespaul included, seem to like pulling both together. Mine was 4X4 so that made it a little bit more difficult (I don't know if yours is or not). The balance point is way farther back with both connected. Maybe it was also because I didn't have a rear end under the truck at the time and couldn't lower the back of the transfer case very far. I had to jack up the front of the cab to get it all out. The only thing that baffles me more than pulling engine and trans together is the people who used to like to pull an engine out of a 4 speed truck with the bell housing still attached. Then they'd sell it that way.:***: Without a bellhousing, the transmission is now worthless!cookoo If you want to give it a try, I won't try to talk you out of it. It just seems, to me, like a lot more headache instead of a little bit more work.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I did manage to get the job done so I'm not saying that it's impossible.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for the experianced IDI guys...

I have been told by a few people that the rings could be stuck and I should try soaking the rings by putting a cleaner in the cyclinders and letting it soak for a few days.

I am sceptical of this having any chance of working.

Anyone here have any experiance with this on a 7.3 IDI?

I have had some audi engines lose compression from sitting and needed this done, but havent found any cases of a IDI thus far.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe that it could happen. You could try something like Marvel Mystery Oil in your engine oil. That may work.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Don't forget to drive the crap out of it afterwards. I'm not saying to abuse it, but don't baby it around. The worst that could happen? Probably nothing would change. At least you would have tried.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I will give it a try. Since I have to put it in from the glowplug hole and let it sit in the cylinders what would the preferred product be? Seafoam, Marval, PB Blaster, If I didn't have to go to California to get it I would use the magical Unicorn ***.... But just the thought of California and I break out in a rash.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...

I picked up a running parts truck. The engine seems to run great. Coolant looks old but no oil from what I can see and there is no coolant in the oil. truck has 140,000ish miles on it. I will be pulling the engine in the next two weeks. What should I look at doing with it while it is on a engine stand?

I was thinking valve cover gaskets and rear main seal as they both seem to be leaking. anything else I should look at doing? are head gaskets ok at that mileage? It is a 1988 7.3 idi.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Reseal the oil cooler for sure. Just a warning about rear seals. When I overhauled my engine about 1 1/2 years ago, I left the crank repair sleeve that was already on there since I could see a groove in it, but couldn't catch it with a fingernail. The seal leaked. I just installed a new crank repair sleeve and another rear seal a couple of months ago and it was leaking right away. Wes told me that he's had trouble with seals leaking too. Next, I'm going to try the "install dry" kind of seal that comes with it's own plastic installation sleeve.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was planning on resealing the the oil cooler, just forgot to write it above. I will look into the install dry rear seal, any brand better than others? I also plan on new engine mounts. Is there a brand better than others?

Also I want to install a solid flywheel kit. Anyone have any experience with the kits sold on rockauto?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The reason that I call the seal; that is because it says "install dry" right on the seal. I don't know if they are a better quality or not, but I want to try something different next time. I'm not sure about brands. When I worked on these for a living, it was rare to have a seal leak. We used whatever brand came in the Fel-Pro gasket set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online