Reviving a 1990 F250

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I wouldn't try to jump across the relay posts unless you're 100% certain that there's no shorted out wires. He did say that there's a melted cable under the hood. If there's one. there could be another one too. It may have one small spot that's well hidden. If you're going to make a separate harness that attaches directly to the glow plugs and then is jumpered straight off of the batteries, it would probably work. My thinking is that if he's going to go to all of the work of making and installing an separate harness to temporarily power the glow plugs, then why not try to plug it in? It would probably take a couple almost as long to make the harness as it would for the block heater to warm up the engine. Plus you don't want to remove the block heater after you use it once.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have access to a compression test kit and can do that when required. I will plug the block heater in tomorrow morning and let it warm up for a while.

While I wait I will pull the top off the pump and look at the governor and make sure it isn't sticky. then I will try starting it with my rover hooked up to it too and see what she does.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have access to a compression test kit and can do that when required. I will plug the block heater in tomorrow morning and let it warm up for a while.

While I wait I will pull the top off the pump and look at the governor and make sure it isn't sticky. then I will try starting it with my rover hooked up to it too and see what she does.
Good plan.

When you check inside the IP, use your finger, not a tool. Make sure everything is clean. Including your finger. LOL (Meaning, no 'chunks', no matter how tiny, that could fall down in there.)

Then make sure the rod works freely, and also make sure the metering valve, (closest to the firewall), is working freely as well.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh don't worry my OCD wont let me get dirt in the pump. I will clean the pump very well and cover everything around it so I cant get dirt from something else in it and then I also use a ridiculous amount of gloves when doing stuff just to make sure I don't contaminate something (this habit comes from working with very expensive epoxy systems doing yacht work).

So under hood will probably end up looking like a operation is going on... hopefully with less blood!

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I opened up the pump and it looks dirty compared to pictures I have see of other pumps that were opened up. How do I clean it properly without messing anything up?

You must be registered for see images attach

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I opened up the pump and it looks dirty compared to pictures I have see of other pumps that were opened up. How do I clean it properly without messing anything up?

Yours is fine. Make sure that everything is working properly in there, then fill the filter with ATF and let it run long enough to fill the ip. Then let it set for a couple days.

Here is what mine looked like...

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohhhh well after seeing yours I feel way better about mine

I will work everything around a bit and then put it back together.
I was going to plug it in this morning like Wes said to and I went to grab the plug and realized it is totally dry rotted.

So I am going to work on the glow plug system and try to follow the write up I found on here to wire it up properly.

What kind of ATF does everyone use? I have some Valvoline maxlife Merc / dex but I know it's synthetic. Is that okay to use in the filter?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was going to plug it in this morning like Wes said to and I went to grab the plug and realized it is totally dry rotted.
What's dry rotted? The whole wire or just the plug on the end? If it's just the plug, replace it with an add on extension cord end that you can buy at a hardware store.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 8" of cable that hangs down at the front bumper, the jacket was all crumbling. I could look further back and see if I can splice some new cable in. But my plan tomorrow is to charge the batteries again and rewire the glowplug system and see if that works.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was bad too. I should've replaced the cord but I just spliced into it next to the plug on the block. Cords are only like $25 though if you feel like replacing it. A NAPA might even stock the cord if you take it in with you to match it up.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pastorjeep, That's a very generous offer. I have a few more things I am going to try and then I may take you up on the offer. Would be nice to have someone look at it that is familiar with the IDI engines.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pastorjeep, That's a very generous offer. I have a few more things I am going to try and then I may take you up on the offer. Would be nice to have someone look at it that is familiar with the IDI engines.
I have a tac-n-time we can get it timed up after she gets running.