Reviving a 1990 F250

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a quick update.

I got back to work on the truck this past weekend. I replaced the fuel filters and filled with fresh diesel (5 gallons mixed with 1/4 of a qt of diesel clean and a little 2 cycle oil) I installed clear tubing on the return line from the top of the injector pump and the line that returns to the filter housing. I am also running off the fresh can of fuel and have by passed the fuel tank just to rule out bad fuel.

I loosened the injector lines to all 8 injectors and cranked the truck for a few sets and was able to get diesel to all the injectors. after that I tried a little starting fluid and aside from some clattering it didn't do much (very little whiteish smoke out of the exhaust)

I tried again with some brake cleaner and she tried to start but nothing more. I am wondering if I am getting fuel through the injectors. I am hoping that letting the cleaner sit in the system may loosen things up a bit.

I also am wondering if I should try and advance the injection pump? in the picture a few posts up you can see the timing marks and the pump is currently sitting at about a dimes width advanced. I don't know how many mile are on the pump, only that it was a good condition pump off a running truck that was swapped on to this truck. if I advance it more would it perhaps build more pressure to fire the injectors if that is what is wrong?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only way you’re going to make more pressure is with more rpm. We’re you using starting fluid with the lines still cracked? They need to all be tight if you’re trying to start it.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point I am going to guess that you are not getting enough RPMs.

Try hooking up another car or truck with jumper cables. (If you only have one battery on the 'donator' vehicle, then hook it up to the passenger side battery. As that one feeds the starter.)

With the jumper cables attached correctly, let the donator vehicle run at a high idle for maybe ten minutes, before you do anything else.

Keep that vehicle going at a high rpm, while you try to start your truck.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 2 fresh charged 1100 CCA batteries on the truck. I have a battery charger that has a starting mode guess I will hook that up and give it a shot. if that doesn't work I will try the hooking the battery in the land rover to it (I think it is a 850 CCA)

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had 2 fresh charged 1100 CCA batteries on the truck. I have a battery charger that has a starting mode guess I will hook that up and give it a shot. if that doesn't work I will try the hooking the battery in the land rover to it (I think it is a 850 CCA)
I went through all this not that long ago, myself. reviving a 92 f250 7.3idi na. Mine sat for 5 years or more. Went through the same steps, had the same problems.

Just re-read the thread to be sure I hadn't missed anything.

The only thing I can see that I did differently, is that I removed the top of the IP and discovered that the governor was stuck. When you take the top of the IP off, there is a rod that runs in the direction of, from firewall to radiator. That should slide easily.

Mine was stuck from all the crud buildup. I just reached in and with my finger, gently moved it forward and back. Back and forward. Until it got to the place where when I would pull it toward the radiator, and let go, it would fully return, on it's own. I say fully, because for a while it would only partly return. (Maybe yours is partly stuck, like that.) You have to keep doing this until you get the full range of movement.

As for the batteries... Yeah, I did exactly the same as you. Good batteries. I would charge them up fully. I even put my battery charger, (On the start circuit), on there, while cranking. Never did get enough RPMs until I hooked up a tiny little toyota camry, let it run for ten minutes, then left it running while I tried to crank. I did, of course, charge the batteries fully with the charger, before I hooked up the camry via jumper cables.

That was the first time I actually got the truck to start and continue running. Been fine, since then, until recently. It has sat for almost two months, without starting. I'll probably have to do the jumper thing again...

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will pull the top cover off and take a look at the governor rod. Does that top cover use a gasket to seal? Anything else to check while I have it open?

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will pull the top cover off and take a look at the governor rod. Does that top cover use a gasket to seal? Anything else to check while I have it open?
Yes, there is a gasket.

First, clean the entire IP really well. Make sure that there is NO possibility that any gunk can fall into the IP while you have it open.

Disconnect the two electric connections, and the return line hose, first. Then you can remove the top.

When removing the top, pay very careful attention to how it comes off. Then, when you put it back on, be very careful not to put it on incorrectly. It is possible to get it back on there wrong, and trap the governor in place.

Do a search on here, and you'll find threads where others have done this, and they have pics and very good, detailed information about how to do it correctly. I did the search, and had no problems with mine, as a result.

You might want as well, to remove the fuel filter, fill it with ATF. replace. Then crank until you see ATF at all the injectors. Then let it sit for a day or 7.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as the throttle moves, the governor (minimax) moves. What sticks is the metering valve in the back, this is the fuel “gate” so to speak. It is controlled not by the sliding rod which is the minimax governor, but by the black linkage on the side which runs to the front of the pump and actuates on the flywheel. The idle spring of the minimax pushes on the end of the linkage to overide the flyweights in certain throttle conditions, and the fss arm on the solenoid slams the metering valve shut when the key is shut off. Usually they stick in the off position from sitting, the fss still will click with it in this position. The top cover is sealed by a square cut o ring, be sure it’s in its groove when you tighten the cover back on.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will do some searching and find the write up. I probably wont be able to work on the truck till the weekend anyways so I have a couple days :)

Is the gasket reusable? or should I go ahead and order one?

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will do some searching and find the write up. I probably wont be able to work on the truck till the weekend anyways so I have a couple days :)

Is the gasket reusable? or should I go ahead and order one?
It's reusable if it isn't torn up/raggedy. I just put mine right back on the way it was.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not nearly the expert on this that Wes is, but you did say that you got fuel to all 8 injectors. Assuming that you're getting enough fuel volume of to the injectors (had to tell by just cranking) I'd guess that you don't have something sticking in the pump. If all else fails, you could try chaining this truck to another one and try pull starting it assuming that this is the 1990 with a ZF5 in your signature. At the shop I used to work at, one time we put a 6.9 complete with rebuilt pump and injectors in a 1984 or 85. We tried EVERYTING to get the thing to start. It had fuel to the injectors. We sprayed WD-40 into the intake, then we went to ether. Nothing. We would charge the batteries when they got low. Still nothing. Not one cylinder would hit. Finally, we got tired of that crap and chained it to our shop truck. The shop foreman sat in the customer's truck, I drove the shop truck. We weren't even out of the parking lot when the foreman dumped the clutch and the truck fired right up like it should have in the first place. It started fine every time after that. It started fine in the morning after sitting all night and being cold. The customer never had any starting issues after that.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is kinda obvious, but I have overlooked stuff like this way too many times...

You are getting power to the fuel shutoff solenoid?

I feel almost insulting to post, but I can't tell you how many time I have spent enormous amounts of time and resources, barking up the wrong tree.

I mean, by now you shoulda been getting at least clouds of smoke outta that thing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online