Reviving a 1990 F250

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
That is the Fuel Injection Pump Lever (FIPL) sensor. The E4OD automatic transmission uses this. If you have a manual transmission, chances are that this IP was from a truck with an automatic transmission.

Put your truck info in your signature file and we won't have to guess what you have. :)

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Signature has been updated. It is A Manuel 5 speed. So can I remove that sensor or does it need to be on the IP?

I also have a fuel leak under the IP. What should I be looking for as the culprit of the leak? I will try to post a picture in a while but the fuel looks to be coming from closer to the bolting flange at the timing cover.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Weather providing I will be working on the truck in the morning. I will remove the Fuel Injection Pump Lever, Do I remove the whole bracket or just the sensor? Also what should I be looking for to Locate the Fuel leak on the Injection Pump? the fuel is puddling under the pump but I cant see where it is coming from.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious where you got to with this?

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had much time to play with it. I did clean up the valley pan to see if I could see where the fuel was coming from, I cranked the truck several time and no fuel has shown back up yet (kinda confused about that). I cracked the injector lines and cranked the truck for about 10 seconds did this 3 times checking the lines for fuel as I let the starter cool. I got fuel to 4 lines and ran out of daylight and batteries. I will recharge the batteries and try again. I ordered new fuel filters and it looks like the return lines have be replaced in the recent past, I am going to put some clear tube in to see if I am pushing air.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I haven't tried pull starting. The truck cranks happily but it is not getting enough fuel I don't think, and I am chasing someone else's bad wiring job. I did figure out that they installed a manual glow plug button, the wire was broken so I hooked it up and the wire started smoking and the coil on the glow plug controller started burning all the dirt off of it.

I disconnected the glow plugs and gave it a shot of starting fluid and it kinda tried to start( white smoke out the exhaust) I am going to change the filters and fill them with fresh diesel and atf and see if I can get the injector lines bled properly. Then I will try starting it again.