Return Line Kit

runkeeg26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so i think in the near future i will be replacing the fuel return line kit as it looks like they are on there last leg even though the truck starts wonderfully. I was wondering. It is currently set up the turbo way with a triple exit on the #5 injector and also on another even one i cant think of. I was wondering can i run it the NA way? If so how would it connect back behind the engine on the driver side? And also could anyone post pictures of it? or show me how to go from the turbo style to the NA way? Maybe a little drawing. Thanks guys!!!! Really appreciate all your knowledge!

Joe

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
as touchy as these return systems are, if it aint broke don't touch it. it would be a good idea to have some ready to go when they do fail though.

i think if have a pic of the turbo version layout.

runkeeg26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I will do just that, I found a good one form Oregon for like 45. I think i will get it and just keep it around, maybe in the back of the truck just in case one day. If i don't run into that problem before August or so I think I will just replace it when I do a e pump and new glow plugs for the winter. Thanks! I tried looking for the turbo type routing with the triple T's and didn't have to much luck, i just wanted to make sure the way mine is set up now is the best way and not some hack job done by the previous owner. It would be awesome if you have it though 94iditurbo7.3!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and for that 45 I will include extra hose for turbo apps. shipped.

runkeeg26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will order one form you when funds come through type4 i just like to get my ducks in a row first and do all the research up front, Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How'd that work out for you Kegger 26 ?

I've got a chronic problem with return fuel line leaks and I'm about done with it, I've got what I think will be the bomb permanent solution, but its about ten times more expensive than that $45 you guys are talking about. So how'd that kit work out for you ?????

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the stock kit will not get you a 3 way T, and really, you don't need it. The absolute best routing in my opionion for NA or turbo, is dead end at #7, to #5 to #3 to hose T (any garden variety red card T will do) to #1 across the front of the IP to #2, to #4, to #6 to #8 to fuel return manifold. Run a return direct from the IP to the manifold, and plug the unused nipple on the manifold. I do this with all my trucks, 6.9 or 7.3, and use the 6.9 kit on them all. This way you don't have hoses and connections where you cannot see them, and cannot get at them.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm

I have mine dead ended at #1 and the IP return line goes into the cap on #2 assuming I've got my numbering order down.

I've got a T by the fire wall where they come together from either side and then down to the tank

So my question is if the fuel is supposed to be cooling the injectors and you have a dead end so only return fuel out of the injectors weep holes is going through the line, your not getting any cooling effect from the overpresure fuel out of the IP. So isn't that going to eventually screw something up ? I was thinking of dead ending both sides and running return fuel off the IP directly to the line going back to the tank. Rather than through the injectors. But then I read some stuff about the return fuel cooling the injectors and now I'm not so sure.

Kinda confused as to what the systems intended for, does it "just" return fuel off the IP ? Does it "just" return fuel from the weep holes off the injectors ? Does it cool the injectors, and do I need to maintain functionality of all ?

Seems by blocking things off there could be back pressure somewhere thats part of my leak issues.

Since the things leaked every time no mater what, I'm thinking of giving it one more try rebuilding everything back to factory and if that don't get it. Then its machine shop time.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the stock kit will not get you a 3 way T, and really, you don't need it. The absolute best routing in my opionion for NA or turbo, is dead end at #7, to #5 to #3 to hose T (any garden variety red card T will do) to #1 across the front of the IP to #2, to #4, to #6 to #8 to fuel return manifold. Run a return direct from the IP to the manifold, and plug the unused nipple on the manifold. I do this with all my trucks, 6.9 or 7.3, and use the 6.9 kit on them all. This way you don't have hoses and connections where you cannot see them, and cannot get at them.

Wouldn't have a photo of that setup by chance?

Heath

runkeeg26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I eventually just ordered a kit from Oregon. The turbo style. I was in a bind and needed it fast. I am currently getting much better fuel economy which helps at 4.30 a gallon. And no leaking anywhere. Just press them down real good until you hear the click and measure twice and cut once on the actual lines and your golden. Truck starts great ( did before) but i am a happy guy. I also got some new shocks up front but i think there is nothing i can do to get it to ride like the newer trucks. I like it, but my grandpa isn't to fond of it, being a mile down a bumpy dirt road. I love this truck though. And will never part with it. If she blows im thinking of just putting a dare i say it (cummins) Or better yet a 360! i would love love love that!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long have the original lines been on there? Probably a long time correct? I know you guys are a bunch of "truck enthusiasts" but the original system was not that bad if it lasted all these years was it?

Besides cooling the injectors, these lines are also the reason why you can crank and crank and eventually purge the air out of the injector lines without having to crack the injector line loose to get the air out.