Return line caps oily looking.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'll assume if my new return line caps are oily looking that means they are leaking, right?
This is a quality Diapco return line kit, I dont understand how they can be leaking. They have less than 2500 miles on them. Anyone else had problems with return caps leaking like this? Or am I looking at the wrong thing, if the caps are wet does that mean the injector nut is leaking?
My truck is starting like crap when its not plugged in, barely runs for a good 30 seconds, and smokes like never before. It starts like its loaded up with fuel or there are only 2 glow plugs lighting off or something. Its crazy how bad it starts when its not plugged in.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say caps are probably leaking. Remember tho, they are only as good as the o-rings under them, so buy a new set of #111 o-rings and install them and see if that stops the leaks. If it were the injector line nuts leaking then you'd have a noticeable misfire.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I am running the same kit, from russ and i have had to change injectors a bunch and mine dont leak a drop, i have 6 glow plugs it was like 24 degrees this morning i heated them 12 second and as soon as i touched the switch it was running:D thats with a new IP and an unknown set of used injectors, and as said before 6 glow plugs,
So your engine needs a few things done to make it crank that good cause it should, get you some viton o-rings, russ sells them now, also what shape is your injectors in? and pull them glow plugs and test them out too, im using AC-Delco 8G's right now and they are the best ones i ever used so far, just dont glow anylonger than 12 seconds

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
They aren't really wet as in freshly wet with fuel more like oily filmy kinda wet. The glow plugs are brand new, just installed them last week, brand new Beru's. The truck started just like it did today last week and thats why I burned up the plugs last week. Wasn't quite so stupid today. I burned them off for 14 seconds it fired up right away but like I said it was smoking up a storm and only running on a couple cylinders, so I after glowed it, just bliping the GP switch on and off every second or so to keep them warm. It finally took and smoothed out but this is ridiculous.
The injectors are still the Diesel Care crap ones, holding out for a nice set from Russ or possibly some Moose Misters.
These orings under the caps are so tight I could barely get the caps on, I cant believe they'd be leaking. But for whatever reason the caps are kinda oily looking.
My high idle advance barely does anything at all, it should make the truck run like 950rpm but it barely runs over idle. I need to figure out how to adjust that.
I know i need to actually time this thing but its cold outside and I've never had any problems with it before now so I always figured the timing was about as close as one could get by ear.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
My high idle advance barely does anything at all, it should make the truck run like 950rpm but it barely runs over idle. I need to figure out how to adjust that.
use a 1/4 wrench to turn the idle soliniod shaft like a screw.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What did you lube the o-rings with when you installed them. That might be whats seeping. I used a Diaptco kit and almost all of my lines leaked. It was as if the o-rings were melting. I got two kits from Russ and fixed it. Still don't know why the other set leaked like it did...:dunno

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running the same kit, from russ and i have had to change injectors a bunch and mine dont leak a drop, i have 6 glow plugs it was like 24 degrees this morning i heated them 12 second and as soon as i touched the switch it was running:D thats with a new IP and an unknown set of used injectors, and as said before 6 glow plugs,
So your engine needs a few things done to make it crank that good cause it should, get you some viton o-rings, russ sells them now, also what shape is your injectors in? and pull them glow plugs and test them out too, im using AC-Delco 8G's right now and they are the best ones i ever used so far, just dont glow anylonger than 12 seconds

what injectors?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Vaseline to lube everything.

TMI:rotflmao

Part of the reason I have been including the viton orings in the kits has been because the supplied ones are hit and miss on quality. I noticed some are soft and some are hard. So it is possible the orings are just crappy, and in really cold climates the problem is aggravated.

And those injectors may be pushing a lot of bypass fuel and causing a bit of seepage.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you've got something else going on. Remember, leaking returns affect the ability of the IP to get fuel INTO it. You should have a start...run...die effect going on. Rough running is the result of cylinders not firing. Cylinders fail to fire when air, heat, or fuel is missing. The only way fuel could be missing, is if your individual IP lines are leaking down. This would be due to a leak at the pump, a leak at the injector, or a crack in the line. To RULE OUT the leaky returns being an issue, unscrew your fuel filter before you try to start, and verify that it is full (fuel should leak out when you unscrew it). If it is not, then you still have an air issue, but maybe something else too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726