Return line at fuel filter delete?

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read a couple posts about deleting/plugging the return line at the fuel filter. In those posts the people have said that air can get through the system causing a rough idle (mine isn't rough, but my RPMs fluctuate just a little). They also said extending my air filter to the very front of the engine bay along with the return delete and an "extra E-pump" (they are talking about adding an E-pump to work WITH the mechanical pump. Doing all that will add power because I'll get better fuel and air going in?) So before I try this I wanted to see what the consensus is on it. Has anyone tried it? Does it work? Is it a good/bad idea?
Also I have a whining sound that I believe is my fuel pump, I was told that is the sound it makes when it is starting to fail, so I bought a Mr. Gasket 7psi 35GPH E-pump to replace the one I have. I know it isn't the best but for now it's what I can afford.---does anyone have any experience with this E-pump?

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well if you do plug off the return line off the filter head. then any and all air MUST travel thru the injection pump. Thats never a good idea either. When I purchased my rig in 1996 I did not have the filter return line. I also made a habit of running tanks dry on the freeway. then switch to the other full tank.. Another bad idea because running the injection pump dry does not allow the fuel to cool it or lube it.. Yes, fuel cools and lubes the pump internals.Eventually I found running dry and switching tanks doing 70 mph caused me to park the rig cause the fuel did not refill quick enough. Another note.. I have an E4OD and you MUST keep your throttle peddle pressed down or the trans and cpu will allow the trans to go into coast mode. then the engine dies and no more mechanical pump drawing fuel thru an mt system. I made mistakes and now know better. As for the question about the E pump. Sorry I have no experiance with that type.
Why do you want to delete the return line from the filter head???

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you do plug off the return line off the filter head. then any and all air MUST travel thru the injection pump. Thats never a good idea either. When I purchased my rig in 1996 I did not have the filter return line. I also made a habit of running tanks dry on the freeway. then switch to the other full tank.. Another bad idea because running the injection pump dry does not allow the fuel to cool it or lube it.. Yes, fuel cools and lubes the pump internals.Eventually I found running dry and switching tanks doing 70 mph caused me to park the rig cause the fuel did not refill quick enough. Another note.. I have an E4OD and you MUST keep your throttle peddle pressed down or the trans and cpu will allow the trans to go into coast mode. then the engine dies and no more mechanical pump drawing fuel thru an mt system. I made mistakes and now know better. As for the question about the E pump. Sorry I have no experiance with that type.
Why do you want to delete the return line from the filter head???
Just looking for good information, I am new to my diesel. I've only had it over a month now

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've deleted the fuel return to the filter on my F250. Have keep it on my F350. Not noticed a single change with anything what so ever. No benefit that I've seen. No loss that I've seen either. It's a wash in my experience.

I wouldn't push fuel through the mechanical pump with an electrical pump. No point in doing so (the mechanical pump will act like a restriction if anything). Plus, it's possible that pressure from the e-pump could help kill the diaphragm in the mechanical pump and you'll end up with a crankcase full of fuel (that's great for the bearings).

Heath

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've deleted the fuel return to the filter on my F250. Have keep it on my F350. Not noticed a single change with anything what so ever. No benefit that I've seen. No loss that I've seen either. It's a wash in my experience.

I wouldn't push fuel through the mechanical pump with an electrical pump. No point in doing so (the mechanical pump will act like a restriction if anything). Plus, it's possible that pressure from the e-pump could help kill the diaphragm in the mechanical pump and you'll end up with a crankcase full of fuel (that's great for the bearings).

Heath
I only have an E-pump, my mechanical is plugged off for now until I put the block plate on. Hopefully soon I can get the thermo-king fuel pump with a fuel regulator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle