Replacing valve cover gasket. Anything else to do while I've got the covers off?

Lovely Bunny

Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a little oil leak seeping from under my valve cover and I'm going to replace the gasket. I'm comfortable with this but wondering what else I might look for with the cover off? Anything in particular I should inspect or look for in there? Anything preventative it makes sense to do? It's an 88 Econline van with a 7.3 n/a. Thanks

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a little oil leak seeping from under my valve cover and I'm going to replace the gasket. I'm comfortable with this but wondering what else I might look for with the cover off? Anything in particular I should inspect or look for in there? Anything preventative it makes sense to do? It's an 88 Econline van with a 7.3 n/a. Thanks
I always check to make sure the rocker bolts are tight and there isnt any rust growing on the rockers that's about it

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Check the underneath side of the valve covers and around the valve springs for signs of sooty looking residue. That is the first indication of an exhaust valve guide going bad. Other than that, these engine are pretty simple under the valve covers.

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much in there. Just a valve train. Good time to look for metal shavings/milky oil/carbon build up

Rocker arms and pushrods last a long time. If you have valve train issues you typically hear it with lots of ticking or worse things while running

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought was to re-torque the head bolts. Might be too much at this time but really it's about an hour job once you have the covers off. Probably more because some are hard to get at and you need a 12-point 1/2" socket. Great insurance though.
Doh, van. Maybe you can't even get to them all. Probably a PITA.