Replacing fuel line

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i am in the process of eliminating the mechanical fuel pump with a new Carrier unit i got from Doug (GenLightening) . And after fighting to get the mechanical pump out i realized the supply lines were pretty rusty , So i decided to replace it back to where there was good tubing to splice new 3/8 I.D. hose to to run to the new electric pump . The previous owner eliminated the saddle tank and was just running off of the rear tank ( this is a cab and chassis F-superduty with a dump bed ) and in doing so he bypassed the original 3/8 metal hard lines and used what i think is 5/16 brake line for the supply and the return lines . The supply line has numerous splices that i want to eliminate , The supply line coming out of the tank has the factory push-lock fitting but is a 5/16 hard plastic inside of a rubber jacket , It was about 12" long and from there it was multiple splices of rubber and steel line to the factory pump . Now what would be the best way to go about replacing the line ? can i just run a 3/8 rubber line from the tank barb to the electric pump or do i need a push-lock fitting coming from the tank barb and then to 3/8 rubber line ?

jlwoods99

Reaction score
I got new push locks one should be 3/8 and the return push lock should be 5/16 and your fuel line will slide right on to it and clamp down. At least it did on mine.

Jim

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i have read in other post that the supply line is suppose to be 3/8 , but i think the P.O. used the push-lock from the removed saddle tank that is 5/16'' . I have a 12' length of 3/8 rubber fuel line and it slides over the metal line that comes out of the top of the fuel tank so i was thinking about using the 3/8 rubber line from the tank to the new electric fuel pump . just wasn't sure if it would be ok to do this or if someone has a better idea . Don't know if i need to have a push-lock coming off of the tank or not .

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
i was thinking about using the 3/8 rubber line from the tank to the new electric fuel pump . just wasn't sure if it would be ok to do this or if someone has a better idea . Don't know if i need to have a push-lock coming off of the tank or not .
You can go right off of the tank. I usually use the push-lock connector, but I have done it your way also.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
I know what your saying about the smaller metal lines mine were the same and it thru me off as well. What you've got is a 3/8fitting and a 5/16 coming off of the FSV. then they necked downd to that small lines. If you buy new push locks one of each size it will fit on the 3/8 and 5/16 barb coming off of the FSV and be barbed for the corresponding Fuel line size.

jim

jlwoods99

Reaction score
I see you aren't using a FSV, it should still have one of each size coming off the fuel tank, and fit as I stated. the originals are the 3/8 and 5/16 then switched to the smaller lines like mine were.

jim