Replacing flywheel/clutch, etc.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Middle of next week I will be replacing the dual mass flywheel that is pretty much broken with a single mass kit. I have an ATS turbo with the cross pipe that runs below the motor right at the front of the bell housing. Do I have to remove that cross pipe? It's really going to be a pain to do this and that is really a step I want to avoid. I read a post on here saying that the pipe was no longer available & I do not want to screw it up if I can't get a new one.

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is factory, but I did not have to remove my pipe, yours might be different. I did however remove my downtube from the turbo to get to the bellhousing bolt behind it. It wasnt too bad really. Kinda easy actually.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
The cross pipe was really easy to remove on mine, I had to take it off twice already. Good to know about the down pipe though as I am ditching my DMF soon as well.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine tore apart right now. I didn't remove the crossover pipe but like stated the downpipe was in the way. I am having my flywheel welded at a shop. They said they will probably give it some preheat before welding it also. I didn't want to spend any extra than necessary since i am fixing all of my oil leaks and replacing some other stuff at the same time.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at the "Lucky" mod and also thought about having it welded, but this is a daily driver and I also frequently tow 12-15k#s + so I'm not really comfortable with a mod to a major driveline component. I've had this truck for about a year and am pretty much happy with it. I just seem to spend a lot of time working on it. At least I'm not making payments, right?

I understand the reason for the dual mass flywheel, but I really think it is an unnecessary moving part. If the only issue is extra noise while idling in neutral I think I can put up with it or turn up the radio.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726