Repairing frame crack? How to?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, So I've had my 89 Crewcab ripped apart for a while. I'm actually finishing up the teardown so I can get the frame powdercoated. After that I'll start putting it back together.

Anyway with the just the frame sitting there you can see that the top rail on the driverside of the frame has a damaged spot on it and has some cracking. So how can I repair this? I kind of think I need to straighten it out 1st before welding it back up, but don't want to hurt it when I weld it. I'm thinking about using the port a power to push it back into shape and then weld it up and plate it. I'll also probably put a hole throught the end of the crack so it doesn't grow.

Looks like someone had heated this part of the frame at some point as all the fuel lines have splices here and the plastic clips for the fuel and brake lines were melted. It's on the frame right under where the drivers feet are, or where the automatic transmission mount was. By the way when I changed to a manual I had to cut one of the transmission crossmember supports out from the top of the frame because it had been welded. Seemed weird at the time but really makes sense now.

I'll try to post pictures of the frame tonight.

Thanks,
Jeremy (Junk)

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
seems like you already know what to do. drill holes at the start and end of the crack so it doesnt further, weld it, grind it, plate it, weld it! done.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ya definatly it looks like you know what your doing but after you fish plate it and weld it up i wouldnt drill any hole to stop the crack fish plating it should do the trick id do both sides if i was you

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I was on the right track. Now I need to finish pulling the drivetrain off of it and get ready for powdercoating.

Thanks,
Jeremy

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to bevel the crack, weld, then bevel the other side and weld. Use a run off plate when welding on or near the edge of frame flanges. Other than that you pretty much nailed it.

Here ya go. The Ford Body Builders bulletin for modifying light truck wheelbases.

I know you ain't modifying the wheelbase but it tells you the correct and recommended way to weld on the frame.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That bulletin was great. I'll definitely keep that around for reference.

Thanks,
jeremy

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it too. Interesting that they give you their OEM supplier for the brake cable.