Remote mount filter..

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m all for doing things yourself but if it gives you some peace of mind driving your truck, if you send me the materials I can make the lines for you and pressure test them here ;Sweet

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the whole thing done today started the truck and there's a pile of oil dripping from the perma cool adapter.

Turns out it says that some vehicles with extra long oil filter nipples may need to be trimmed to 5/8 of an inch from the oil filter mating surface for the gasket to mate properly.

So, I don't want to do that in the chance that it would damage the threads or not work properly with a regular filter if I go back.

I don't want to trim the frame to just put the filter on normally.. I really don't know what my next move is. If I had a fatter flat o ring I might be able to make it work as is because the outside edge of the perma cool adapter is flat, but I'm not sure how well to flat surfaces will seal leaks. This sucks. Now I'm forced to probably do one of two things I don't wanna do between trimming the filter nipple or trimming the frame.

I had it so close too which is what kills me. It wasn't spraying out just drip every second.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think I would get a spare filter head to practice on. If all goes well, just swap it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is the filter head I'm referring to is the one on the oil cooler on our truck not the extra plumbing i did for this giant filter. That part and the hydraulic hose i had made sealed fine. It's just the damn adapter to the oil cooler to feed the system doesn't have deep enough threads and so the gasket doesn't want to seat.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Right. I thought you were referring to the oil cooler end. Aka filter head.
Not the bypass one.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm gonna try using the thick gasket that comes with the Fleetguard filter I've been using. The perma cool adapter has the gasket groove for the super thin fram gasket at 3 5/8 and I think the thicker and taller gasket that comes on the filter will mount flat surface of the adapter to flat surface of the oil cooler side. If I can just get it tight and right once it's never gonna have to move.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I got it! I used a tall gasket from a LF3974 and it sat in the perma cool adapter that goes on the oil cooler. I got lucky and the gasket were the same diameters and the groove sat perfect in the gasket on the thin side normally reserved for the filter. It made it super easy to tighten against the cooler and hasn't leaked a drop. It isn't "right" but it worked. And its never coming off now ha.

Also, I bolted the filter to a 90* thick plate where it's at in the picture just up a little higher and no more bungee cord. That was just prevantitive cause the filter is so damn heavy it was bending the first 90* plate i used.

Now my oil capacity is:

10 quarts in the truck
4 in the donaldson filter
1 1/2 in the bypass filter
1 in all the hoses

16 1/2 quarts overall, same exact oil pressure. Seems to be happy after two long drives today.

New oil so I'm gonna go 7500-8000 miles and I'll report back. Don't wait up on that over winter though cause I'll almost not drive the truck over winter.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Some reason pic isn't working on my end.
Yeah, takes me awhile to rack up the miles anymore.
Right now I'm only driving 8 miles each way to work. Lol

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man sorry I forgot to grab those measurements for you! :sorry:

Glad you got it figured out tho!

sieg01

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I got it! - snap -

Also, I bolted the filter to a 90* thick plate where it's at in the picture just up a little higher and no more bungee cord. That was just prevantitive cause the filter is so damn heavy it was bending the first 90* plate i used.

hamburgers performance part #3360

First of all: Thank you BrianX128 and tknomaj!

Thanks to this thread I found this forum and I found AviAid and Hamburger's. :) Now, I have the AviAid #010-50060 (1-1/2x12 with AN12) and the Hamburger's 3360. (Big thanks to John from Aviaid! He is great source for information and speaks fluently German - which helps me a lot ;) )

Now I am looking for the best way to locate and mount all that (incl. the Frantz bypass filter system.)
Would you be so kind and picture your installations from different angles so I can get some guidance and ideas how to do it with my "Eco" (ext. E350, 1994 - non turbo).

Could you also provide some info about your connectors.
Yesterday I visited my local store (Hydroscand in Turku - Finland) to see their options and the assortment is huge...

What about anti-drainback valve(s)?
And - how do you change the filters without emptying the hoses?

Thank you and sunny greetings.

sieg01

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7