Red Rodney in a Bricknose

PapeCAT

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick survey to see if any of you with a Red Rodney radiator had any hood clearance issues? Looks like I'll have to do some clearancing of metal subframe of the hood to get it to close over the fill port. The Rad fits great otherwise, but not much of any room to go down further than it is. (Lower Rad hose port would touch the core support if much lower).

The hood pic shows a little grease marking compound (hard to see) from where the hood is touching the rad cap.

You must be registered for see images attach

PapeCAT

Reaction score
update: OK I think I figured out my issue(s). I had to push the rad FWD to the front side of the mounting flange which gave me just a tad extra clearance for the fan. Between that and tipping the top fwd with a couple washers I was too far into the front of the hood. Corrected those and now I am clear of the hood. This radiator is a TIGHT fit though! Oh yeah, I also adjusted my hood latch upwards as well which may have helped.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's a moot point now, but Gary (icanfixall) has a Rodney Red in his bricknose...you might want to PM him if you run into anything else, if he doesn't see this thread...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your problem in the Cummins engine I see in the Ford...:eek::angel::D Actually it appears your top tank is taller than mine. Later today I will measure how tall my top tank is and get back to you. I think adjusting the hood latch up is a good idea but make sure the hood bump stops on each front corner are also moved up. You purchased the best aluminum radiator available.

PapeCAT

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, Icanfixall and The Warden. This truck fell into my lap (was stroring it for a friend but ended up buying it) but alas it was just a carcass sans powertrain so it never had the IDI oil burner to start with. My brother had a 1991.0 D250 cummins 5 speed that I finally convinced him to sell to me. So like the indians with the buffalo I made due with what I had without wasting any piece and combined the two. (which is why I'm running a 2x4 style 5 speed trans and a divorced NP205)

I'm a Ford convert though. I've tinkered with several First gen dodges over the years, and also built a '72 W200 from the ground up and I must say I really appreciate the way this FORD is constructed. Very easy to put back together and well engineered. BEEFY too. I most recently had a 2012 Ram 3500 SRW Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 6 Speed Cummins Ram, that I sold because the Ford F350 is taking its place.

Thanks again for the tip to move up the corner pegs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some on this site have swapped in the Cummins and some feel its the best marriage of the Ford and the Cummins with makes the best truck on the roads. The Cummmins is expensive to repair and its a small displacement engine.. But it makes up for the lower cubic inches by the straight 6 design and hp coupled with torque. They get great mileage too when hauling. If you read my build description at the bottom on this page you can see what it took to get 19 mph doing 75 to 85 mph across the US back in 2009. Here is my dash proving the mph and the rpm in double overdrive. At 85 mph things are eerily quite too.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have seen the speedo pointer way down between the D and the N on the shift indicator too. I was being chased by a ***** sam...:eek: I easily outran it too:angel::angel::angel:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen the speedo pointer way down between the D and the N on the shift indicator too. I was being chased by a ***** sam...:eek: I easily outran it too:angel::angel::angel:

"If you can see it, you can defeat it."

But yes, supercruise does help. Its all about energy potential. Never get caught low & slow:angel: