recommend headlight upgrade?

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got some 30$ lasfit LED’s in my bricknose 3 years ago and they still work great, even the little fans are still running. The pattern is better than stock doesn’t just go everywhere because I got the right ones for my housing design. Plug and play, last longer, cheaper than the high current drawing top shelf parts store ones that like to melt your headlight switch if you don’t require your truck with the headlight relay mod. LED’s are the future, no need to mess with the complicated hid and rewiring for brighter old style bulbs.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
having a troll on your hood holding up a lantern haha

Probably the best analogy I've heard compared to my old lites I used to have!! The best!! LOL LOL

Last yr I ordered some new Amazon headlites for my '90, installed with some clear stick'em plastic covers, & I can see again!! IIRC about $152 for the set.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
So it looks like there are 3 different prefered headlight bulbs; Alphas (Bronco Graveyard), Sylvania Ultras, and Philips X-tremes.

Can anyone comment as to the difference? Why you may prefer one over the other?

I bought the harness from LMC, and I'll probobly just order some cheap clear lenses on ebay.

Last edited:

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used both bulbs, either is OK, I usually just buy whichever is on sale. When you can buy'em cheap, stack'em deep.

Edited to add: Both means Sylvania and Phillips. Haven't tried the Alphas.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly @saburai had early failure with the alphas bulbs. I could be mistaken though.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
I replaced my old headlights (crappy aftermarket 1 piece projectors) with oem style 3 piece lights (ebay specials). Interestingly the headlights came with nondescript/no-name bulbs. Interesting because they are not sold with the bulbs but sometimes include them none the less....
Anyway... Wow, what an improvement! If these freebee bulbs don't last I'll spring for some of the high quality Sylvania or Phillips bulbs. But just returning the Headlights to oem style improved night driving dramatically.
I also installed the battery direct wiring harness. The harness disabled my factory DRLs. I can either remove the harness or live without the DRls. I don't need DRLs in California anyway. It just happens to have a Ford DRL module for Canadian trucks, which enabled BMW style halo DRLs on the old aftermarket projectors.

Hit me up if you're in the market for disappointing projector headlights, or a good DRL module....

Last edited:

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Interesting update;
On New Years eve I found my truck to have 2 totally dead batteries. I drove the truck on 12/27, so they died completely over 4 days. I've never had issues before and the batteries were only one year old... Clearly a short is at fault.
I replaced the batteries for free on an Autozone warranty (thank God). Hooking up the ground was like striking a stick welder arc... Clearly a short.
I began disconnecting circuits to identify the issue. The issue was the aftermarket direct battery power harness for the headlights https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/whiter-whites-brighter-brights/ I imagine a relay hung up to ground somehow (China relays) but not sure as I just disconnected the whole thing... Anyway, just a heads up.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. It’s also good to know that the cheap relays can be swapped with good Bosch units found in most power distribution panels of cars and trucks in the wrecking yards. As long as the wiring and relay sockets aren’t melted don’t give up on it yet. Now that you’ve removed it, all the power that went through the harness is now back to going through your headlight switch and eliminating that load on the switch was a good thing.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know. It’s also good to know that the cheap relays can be swapped with good Bosch units found in most power distribution panels of cars and trucks in the wrecking yards. As long as the wiring and relay sockets aren’t melted don’t give up on it yet. Now that you’ve removed it, all the power that went through the harness is now back to going through your headlight switch and eliminating that load on the switch was a good thing.

It sure is :Thumbs Up
Before I did the relay harness in Diego, I was getting an intermittent burning smell from the dash:eek: when I upgraded the harness, I replaced the brittle, cooked headlight switch.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
So they're not just regular auto-part store (heavy duty)12v relays? I'd planned to pick some up next time I was down there. The harness looks fine, so I'm just speculating it has to be the relays. Concerning though- simple relays shouldn't short to ground and kill $300 worth of batteries. Not to get ahead of myself, like I said I I'm just speculating... But, the lights weren't on so it isn't like the relay(s) just shorted closed (on). It has to be a direct short to ground, and there's no fuse built into the harness, so a real fire starter!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726