Rebuild or freshen up

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Russ has a little over 420k on the clock and the tranny finally gave up the ghost. While the transmission is out, I planned on pulling the engine to fix a couple of leaks that have been nagging at me for a few years now. Would it be worth it to go any further i.e. bearings or rings, keeping in mind that the truck does not get driven every day and is almost twenty tears old.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It deserves what ever you throw at it. Just think of all the miles its seen. Maybe the first thing you should do is a compression test. Then go on from there. If it has around 450 lbs then leave it alone. Unless you just have to do something to it. Maybe the oil cooler o-rings and at least plasticgage the rods and mains. The oil pumps really don't wear out and the new Melling pumps need to be checked for clearance issues. The factory only checks around 10% off the assembly line.. Not good at all in my oppinion.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I planned on a compression test, mainly because of the mileage. A new pump, injectors, torque convertor and transmission rebuild are going to take up most of the budget. Everything else will have to be real necessary and not just because. The oil cooler and rear main seals make up most of the leaks, I figured on a gasket set taking care of those. As far as the bearings, I thinks thats going to be a judgement call when the time comes

sassyrel

Reaction score
smokey, pull one of the mains. and look. if it aint worn,put back in. then pull a rod cap, push the piston up a bit, and twist out the top half of the rod--it wears, not the bottom half. again, look. when i pulled the rods on my brothers--with 156,00, the rods werent wore--serious. the oil pumps, put out TONS of volume. can also plastigage them as ican said, but i can tell by just looking. and the cranks are harder than h--aint seen one wore, tho i suppose if the oil aint changed----------------------------------

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's about the extent of what I planned to do. This truck has been well maintained since day one, my dad bought it new and since he gave it to me in 1999, it hasn't gone more than 5k between oil changes and has NEVER been overheated. A few months ago, I pulled one of the heads off (horrible glowplug accident) and was pleased to still see the cross hatch in the cylinder walls.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you see any copper on the bearings, I would replace them. I got a whole set of Mains and Rods for like 180.00, Its worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online