Reason to pump your own fuel, OR residents.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Came up months ago, finally took a picture of the reason why I don't let pump jockeys pump my fuel. Guess better late then never :dunno

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
what a load... wonder if that stands up in a court of law? say the wrong in ground tank is filled? 87 octane instead of diesel? then what? (never know!) sounds like a baseless arrogant cop out to get out of any responsibility on their part... reminds me of a simpsons episode. Homer pulls up to a stop light, looks around and closes his eyes, then floors it. "it's not illegal if I can't see it!" cookoo

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When did Oregon start letting people pump their own diesel?

I drove through there in Ausust 2006 and had to let a pump jockey pump for me...I knew it was coming, but I was still uncomfortable about it. I made VERY certain that he grabbed the diesel pump :backoff

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fine print under the 'they don't wanna take responsibility' disclaimer is the statute stating what flammables a attendant has to pump and that diesel is not a Class 1 flammable ie meaning a attendant does not have to be the one to fullfill the order. When it came about, I have no idea. In fact it was a lazy pump jockey at a different station that gave me a heads up on it.
When they get a new guy or gal time to time I flat out tell them I pump my own diesel, and if I get lip, I just point at their own sign. For the most part they don't even walk over any more, probably grumbling oh it's that a-hole.....

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
The fine print under the 'they don't wanna take responsibility' disclaimer is the statute stating what flammables a attendant has to pump and that diesel is not a Class 1 flammable ie meaning a attendant does not have to be the one to fullfill the order. When it came about, I have no idea. In fact it was a lazy pump jockey at a different station that gave me a heads up on it.
When they get a new guy or gal time to time I flat out tell them I pump my own diesel, and if I get lip, I just point at their own sign. For the most part they don't even walk over any more, probably grumbling oh it's that a-hole.....

probably a better idea. I still shudder at someone here who took a new (2005+) F350 diesel into the gas station up the street. No diesel fuel is sold at it (only across the street) so guess what she ended up doing? pumped a tank full of 87 into it... went the opposite way, I don't want to know what happened to that truck. bet her boyfriend became suddenly single for that....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen this..it's all for most part here self serve. Most stations almost all...do not offer attendant pumping.

On top of that, you are required to go in, pay for fuel, then come out pump, if you need more fuel, then you have to go pay more or if you didn't use the amount of fuel purchased you go get your change back from them.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in NJ there is no self service at the pump but almost every station around here will let trucks and anything diesel pump there own fuel. Most stations don't want to deal with the risk of putting gas in a diesel pick up. But even still when I'm driving one of my nice cars or my classic Lincoln I almost always pump my own fuel or get out and watch the guy like a hawk to make sure he puts the right fuel and right about into the car. There are alot of shady stations here in North NJ outside NYC that will try to rip you off out of thievery or just shear stupidity.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see pumps popping up now that are dispensing DEF out of the same hose as regular diesel. Anybody else thrilled about that? LOL

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Why would any state require full service? Stupid. I would not let anyone else fuel my truck. Don't really even fully trust my kid...

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I've never had my fuel pumped by anybody but me.

Riot: Do you guys not have credit card readers at the pumps? The only time I go inside to pay for fuel is if I'm running for somebody else and they give me cash to cover the fuel. Otherwise I just pay at the pump.

94_dieselpower

Reaction score
I actually got my ass chewed by an attendant at a fueling station in my hometown (in Oregon of course) for using the diesel pump on my own. I have done it a thousand times, and this one attendant starting saying I was just some dumb kid and that if he ever caught me doing it again, he would shut the pump off on me. I told him, politely, that I knew that Oregon passed a law that allows people to pump their own diesel in Oregon. He then started spouting off that it was Shell's policy that people cannot pump their own diesel. I called him out on it, yet again, and he just kept saying I was some dumb kid and kept threatening to shut the pump off. He then tried to take over pumping fuel into the truck. I have not done any modifications to the filler necks so you have to baby the pump. I tried to explain to him the situation that with this truck you cannot even put the pump on the first auto-setting as it will click off. He then snidely said "I know the truck and you can put it on the first setting, and if not I will just put my pocket knife under the handle." I then told him that I did not want him to do that, because the last time that someone had done it the pump didn't shut off, the attendant wasn't paying attention, and about a half gallon of diesel got spilled down the side of my wife's truck and onto the ground....and I still had to pay for it. The guy just walked away muttering under his breath. When he came back after I was done fueling and getting the receipt, he told me again next time he saw me or the truck in the station he was going to shut the pump off. Needless to say, I had some choice words for that @sshole! Never gone back to the station either. I go else where and the attendants are more than happy to let me pump my own diesel.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was Shell's policy that people cannot pump their own diesel.
The picture is from the West Salem Shell station. Sounds like you attendant is cookoo I go to a 76, This Shell, and a Texaco in Independence and I get left alone, most in fact act like I'm doing them a favor by getting my own fuel, which I am. The only time I get grief is from a newb that doesn't know any better and they learn the hard way.
I believe it is ORS 480.330, if you want to print it out for the d-bag.

94_dieselpower

Reaction score
Yep, you are correct sir, ORS 480.330 says that an owner, operator, or attendant has to operate any part of the fuel pumps for a CLASS I fuel.....of which you pointed out, diesel is not a CLASS I fuel in the State of Oregon. Yeah, the guy had little man syndrome bad. I know for a fact that my father-in-law has gone to that fuel station and has pumped his own diesel, gasoline, and propane while that individual was there and never had a problem (illegal I know, but this particular individual ALLOWED him to do it). Now don't get me wrong here, I am a younger individual and I feel I am very respectful of people who are older than me. However, I cannot stand it when an older individual that doesn't know me from Adam instantly uses the "your just a stupid kid" argument. It is just frustrating....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger