Rear tank installation.........

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I will soon be putting a new rear tank in the truck. I think i will put some 395A (tar based paint) on the new tank to keep it from rusting before i put it in the truck. Do any of you have any other suggestions to make this tank last?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Originally posted by Diezel_Cowboy
Mel,
Looks like good stuff but for $81 for a brand new tank i dont know if it is worth the price in my case. Thanks for the info.
$81.00? :confused:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JPR
how about a plastic tank ? or the 33 gallon version ?

Now THAT just got my pulse rate going. Oh, my wallet is going to hate me. Listen up guys, the plastic tanks don't have the possibility of zinc transfer from the tank to the injectors, so the plastic is ideal. Also, if it fits in the frame rails of the Bronco, there should be no mods needed to fit in a pickup. heck, even the sender opening doesn't require any special mods either.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Originally posted by hheynow
$81.00? :confused:

Yep i just went with the ole faithful steel tank. Purchased the tank brand new at a local radiator/tank shop for $81.

The guy at the shop said that a lot of the plastic tanks have a leak problem around where the sending unit seals against the tank. So that kinda steered me away from the plastic tanks. Last thing i want after installing a brand new tank is a leak! And the old steel tank has lasted 11 years.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
mine has the 23 gallon plastic mid ship tank and steel 19 gallon rear tank.
when i replaced the rear tank i just buoght a few cans of spray on undercoating and covered it with that.
speaking of tanks,anybody in need of a 45 gallon rear tank,the 89 i just bought for the trans has one in good shape.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by rancherman84
speaking of tanks,anybody in need of a 45 gallon rear tank,the 89 i just bought for the trans has one in good shape.
If you're giving it away, I'll be happy to take it off your hands :)

Only thing with the 33 and 45 gallon tanks is, IIRC, you need to re-locate your spare tire...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Staff online