Rear main seal with wear sleeve, some quick questions

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just acquired a new rear main seal "kit" with a wear sleeve....?
First question, is that wear sleeve similar to the sleeve that can be installed on a front seal/sleeve????
I plan to install it but just wondering....??:dunno
Also this parts store said they didn't show a gasket for the "plate" the seal sits in, can a person use some ultra copper rather then a paper gasket????

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used one of those speedi sleeves on the rear main of my 5.0 stang. Works fine no issues. I rtv almost everything as ive had too many gaskets fail.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used one of those speedi sleeves on the rear main of my 5.0 stang. Works fine no issues. I rtv almost everything as ive had too many gaskets fail.

Did you install a new rear main seal too or just the speedy sleeve???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is a gasket for that seal plate but. Why use it. We don't use any gasket for the oil pan and it wont leak if sealed correctly with
RTV like the factory did. I also use ultra copper plus and never have any leaks. Thats been more than 20 years and counting now. Just make sure the oil pan to block to seal plate corners are clean. A small tooth brush type wire brush works great in the tight areas. Brakeclean does a great job too. A clean white rag will not pick up any dirt when its a clean gasket area. The rear mains I used were Ford parts and the direction told me not to take the speedi sleeve out of the double lip gasket or it will ruin it.. Nope.. I did take it apart and no issues. It also said to install the seal dry. No lube on the seal to sleeve.. Nope. I greased it so lightly you could not see it. Clean oil will work too. The seal material is a special material that does not require lube.. So they say. I think it is teflon but not sure.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New seal. I mever reuse any gaskets or seals

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gary and Greg for the heads up.
Gary I was reading something here and saw you mention ultra copper, got a tube on hand.
Also regarding the oil pan, I've read enough about not using one, think I'll go that route too.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
When installing sleeves like this I use Loctite bearing and sleeve retainer. Just a little dab or smear then tap your piece in. Will seal and secure so it doesn't leak or move.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
^yes. Anaerobic flange sealant is a good idea.

How hard is it to do a RMS? Do you need to loosen the bearings?

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a seal like you say with two lips on it and could not get it too work. I it ripped one lip trying to get it on so I threw the crap away and got a national rear main seal....part number 3894v

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
^yes. Anaerobic flange sealant is a good idea.

How hard is it to do a RMS? Do you need to loosen the bearings?

Nope. Just drop the trans and remove the flywheel or flexplate. Then remove the seal plate. If your not using the speedi sleve just use something on the steel part of the seal body and install. Most seals have a paint type sealer on them and don't rewuire any RTV type sealer to keep them in place or from leaking. I use ultra copper plus on the seal body as a lube and a sealer. Bet some of you didn't know RTV works for a short time as a lube...:sly