Rear main seal sleeve

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a rear main leak ever since I put the engine back together. When I rebuilt it somehow I did not realize that the groove in the crank was a wear mark. I am wondering what brand repair sleeve that some of you guys have used? I found a Felpro kit and I’m sure that’d be fine but I just want to be sure.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive had good luck with fel pro and motorcraft installed dry, they do sometimes require a small amount of sealant.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only used the motorcraft seal. The sealant I used was some permatex form-a-gasket wiped around the original crankshaft seal surface, lightly on the inside of the sleeve and again lightly on the interior perimeter of the rear plate. I think it helps the sleeve slide on a bit easier, especially when trying to use that useless plastic installer tool for both the seal and sleeve together. I had much better luck after I duplicated the critical dimensions out of some aluminum bar stock. If you can't make the plastic installer work, you can install the sleeve first and then ever so carefully get the inner lip of the seal gently slipped over the sleeve then you can mostly normally knock the seal into it's home. Gotta be real careful not to stretch the seal lips much or they won't return to size, teflon is not very forgiving in that aspect.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
you can install the sleeve first and then ever so carefully get the inner lip of the seal gently slipped over the sleeve
This is the only way that I've been able to install this type of seal. I could never get both the sleeve and the seal to go over the crank at the same time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online