Rear fuel tank shenanigan question

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am trying to resolve yet another issue that the P.O. did before I got my truck. When I got my rig the mechanical diesel lift pump had been replaced by a inline electric pump mounted down on the frame just in front of the front fuel tank. Everything works as it should, only when the P.O. installed the electric pump they went directly from the front tank to the fuel filter, meaning only the one tank is usable. I am planning on just putting on a transfer pump that pumps fuel from the rear tank into the front one.

My question is, would it be alright to tee the supply line from the rear tank into return line on the front tank? Or would this create return line pressure?
Also the transfer pump will be on a switch so it won’t be running all the time, only when I need to refill the front tank.

gandalf

Reaction score
Your plan seems a bit cumbersome to me. The PO put the electric pump in the wrong place, slightly. It should have been placed ahead of the fuel selector valve (also along that frame rail), with the FSR left in place and functioning. That way the pump could draw fuel from either tank, with the control being as normal at the driver's fingertips. That, of course, is assuming that the fsv works, that the rear tank is good, and that the fuel line between the rear tank and the fsv is good.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally I was planning on using the selector valve, but it doesn’t work, and the sending unit in the rear tank also doesn’t work. I’m on a tight budget right now and am just trying to get the rear tank usable. I will probably replace the selector and sending unit when money allows. But for now I have everything I would need to just transfer the fuel except for 3.5 feet of rubber hose. Also I’m looking at it right now and the P.O. had cut the lines that go to the rear tank from the selector. For right now I’m just trying to figure out the best place to feed the supply from the rear into the front. Also with the way my flatbed is set up, the tops of both tanks are super accessible

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typical of the fuel tank is the pick-up fall off the end of the pick up tube. That will run you out'a fuel at about 1/3 tank. Those shower heads can be found on Rockauto cheap enough. Next time install it with a hose clamp to hold it in place.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yep, I did a transfer pump. I added a check valve since this pic and change the hoses at the tee. It feeds the rear tank's supply into the front tank's return.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pick up is in good condition, good to know RockAuto has them though, thanks:). I’m just curious if there is any reason it wouldn’t be wise to tee into the front tank return line where it exits the tank. It seems to me to be the simplest option for using the rear tank to feed fuel to the front tank. I know it’s kinda unconventional, but I’m 16 and like to experiment a little

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The pick up is in good condition, good to know RockAuto has them though, thanks:). I’m just curious if there is any reason it wouldn’t be wise to tee into the front tank return line where it exits the tank. It seems to me to be the simplest option for using the rear tank to feed fuel to the front tank. I know it’s kinda unconventional, but I’m 16 and like to experiment a little

Exactly what I did, read one post up ;)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The transfer pump's switch (in the on position)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The transfer pump's switch (in the on ps

And that is exactly what I was thinking @Cubey. I just wasn’t sure if it would mess with return line pressures:dunno

It would, but you could always run it when the engine off, like I plan to do. But, I'm in an RV full time, so I can leave it on while I'm sitting inside eating lunch where I can hear it running, and can I can set a timer to remind me to turn it off after however long I need it to transfer fuel. Those cheap pumps are about 0.5 gallon per minute (30gph) so 20 minutes would transfer about 10 gallons.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, perfect, I have everything already for doing that except the check valve and hose. I’ll pick those next week sometime. Thanks for the tips !:) I’ll let you know how it goes. I have a 60 mile commute to the community college I’m taking some classes at, and the nearest gas station with reasonable prices is 30 miles the in opposite direction, so it’s kinda annoying doing that extra 30 miles 1-2 times a week just for fuelLOL

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Ok, perfect, I have everything already for doing that except the check valve and hose. I’ll pick those next week sometime. Thanks for the tips !:) I’ll let you know how it goes. I have a 60 mile commute to the community college I’m taking some classes at, and the nearest gas station with reasonable prices is 30 miles the in opposite direction, so it’s kinda annoying doing that extra 30 miles 1-2 times a week just for fuelLOL

Do the math and see if it's worth driving an extra 60 miles to save on fuel. It might be a wash, if not a loss. You could also carry a 5 gallon can of fuel if you need extra distance outside your range.

gandalf

Reaction score
You're right. Markleeville is pretty much the definition of the middle of nowhere. That, of course, may make it one of the attractive places to live. I've actually been there, to Markleeville. I've driven over both Hiway 4 and hiway 88. I particularly like 4 past Bear Valley, up and over.

How's that for going off-topic?

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is pretty great blessing to be able to live out here. And highway 4 is actually one of my all time favorites. My dad builds rock crawlers so we take them over 4 to the Deer Valley and Slickrock off-road trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73