Rear fuel tank shenanigan question

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I just found another solution to transferring fuel!:) my truck has a “custom” 2inch high flow filler hose, and a section on the hose is metal, so I think I’m just going to pull the metal part, tap a fitting into it and then I’ll be bypassing the return line altogether. No return line or check valve to mess with, and I’ll be able to transfer fuel even while I’m driving:D

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please draw the entire system you are talking about making. Doesn't matter how crude the drawing is, as long as things are labeled.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
And I just found another solution to transferring fuel!:) my truck has a “custom” 2inch high flow filler hose, and a section on the hose is metal, so I think I’m just going to pull the metal part, tap a fitting into it and then I’ll be bypassing the return line altogether. No return line or check valve to mess with, and I’ll be able to transfer fuel even while I’m driving:D

The problem with that is it'll create air bubbles in the fuel with it pouring in from the top. You might fuel starve if you do it that way.

Return lines are below the top of the fuel line in the tank, preventing that.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I uploaded a picture of the sketch, but it doesn’t look like it went through. Might yak me a while to figure this out

You must be registered for see images attach

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll let you guys know how well it works after I get everything together. It’ll probably be a couple weeks till I can get it done though due to work and school. Thank you all for all your help!:)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On my Bronco, I ran the fuel return to a fitting high on the filler neck. I never had any issues with the engine running. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but it didn't for me.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
On my Bronco, I ran the fuel return to a fitting high on the filler neck. I never had any issues with the engine running. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but it didn't for me.

Hmm, maybe I will try redoing mine that way some day. I thought about it, but was talked out of it. Just tee into the vent hose with a plastic tee meant for coolant since a fitting I'd need are cheap and common like that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe I was the exception to the rule. I don't know. I can just report on my experience. I'm also not trying to talk anyone in doing theirs either way. When I said high, I meant the top metal piece that attaches to the bed side right behind the fuel door (even though you done have a fuel door). I did work it pretty hard going over monarch Pass in Colorado back in 2012, so it's not like I was just cruising down a flat road all the time either.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is a little off topic, but I have two more questions.
My first question is, if I put kerosene in my fuel as a anti-gelling additive, would it decrease the lubrication element of the diesel? I run Marvel mystery oil at every fill up, so I’m not sure that’s even a concern.
My second question is, why don’t they make titanium piston heads for high performance idi’s, therefore reducing EGT risks?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My second question is, why don’t they make titanium piston heads for high performance idi’s, therefore reducing EGT risks?
For one, the cost would probably be outrageous. For another (I may be wrong on this), but I don't think that titanium holds up to pressure well, at least not when it's hot.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Then one more thing to add. If you actually could get titanium pistons, then you'd want to have everything balanced again. Titanium is a lot lighter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online