Rear axle seals leak. TSB 94-19-24 (PN: F4TZ-1177-C)) - part dealership only?

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice the groove on the axle was much wider than the o-ring I pulled out of it. Previous owner had silicon gooped up in there. I'm curious if there is a seal that fits - went to Napa and they could only match my o-ring, but my napa sucks. Anyone know if this should have an o-ring, or is there a special seal here. Notice the gap in the groove next to the o-ring.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be fine as long as it stays in the groove, its got an o ring from the factory but the machined surface does most the sealing. This should help you out, let me know if you need anything else.
You must be registered for see images attach

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the torque spec on the spindle nut? I read on here somewhere 55ft/lbs and back off 5 clicks, but that seems way too tight. Hub doesn't really spin freely by hand.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats the spec, but I do it in small steps up to 55ft lbs otherwise it wont seat perfectly and be too tight. You could also go a little loose, and after the first test drive go back over all the bearings and recheck torque and tightness. I like to do that on any fresh build anyways.

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
What's the torque spec on the spindle nut? I read on here somewhere 55ft/lbs and back off 5 clicks, but that seems way too tight. Hub doesn't really spin freely by hand.
I just done mine recently, the specs I found said 65/ft-lbs then back off 8 clicks. Ends up being about a 1/16 of a turn back off.