rear axle seal

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put new brakes on my truck 92 F250 4x4 last year I put new seals on them and right away the seal blew out driver side only, and greased up the brakes a quick note I confess when I put on the new seal it didn't exactly feel right but seemed right also.
Any way I took it apart and tried another new seal aftermarket same one as before only this time I really looked it over and found it didn't go on at all without destroying the seal so I get a factory seal from ford and it fit great definitely looked right also didn't see any kind of grove or ring on hub where seal goes put it back together and the other day brakes started smoking after using and pulled it apart and seal went bad, brakes greased again any ideas what to do or try.
tired of buying new brake pads not cheap?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Is the axle vent tube plugged by chance?

Drivers side of the axle, rubber tube going up to the frame rail where attached.

How many miles on the seals before they puke the fluid?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X 2 on the vent.

Many is the pinion-seal or axle-seal that has been condemned when the real culprit was a clogged axle-vent.

It may not be your situation, but should be addressed regardless.;Sweet

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well is the vent tube attached on top of the axle housing with also brake lines if yes I found the end and blew in it and could blow through the line so not plugged.
as far as time not really sure when it started leaking I'm thinking not to long after.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
well is the vent tube attached on top of the axle housing with also brake lines if yes I found the end and blew in it and could blow through the line so not plugged.
as far as time not really sure when it started leaking I'm thinking not to long after.

Yup, that'd be the ******.

Well that rules that out.

Seal possibly getting cocked or tweaked just a bit upon intall maybe?
They're kind of a ****** to put in.